Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CodeWeavers Is Hiring Another Graphics Developer To Help With Wine D3D / Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

I was under the impression that ANV was a fully-featured and functional Vulkan driver. As with the GPUs, it leaves out some otherwise perfectly functional older hardware, but at some point the switch will need to be made. At that point, some people with older laptops are going to lose out (desktop users can just buy a GT 1030 or RX 550 or something).

I see Apple as the main force pushing this, since it seems to be 'Drop OpenGL' or 'Drop OS X'. A number of developers are choosing the latter, but not all will.
    ANV might be good at feature wise but it sucks hard performance wise compared to Windows driver on Vulkan. Which Windows driver is known to be broken for ages rn.

From my understanding ; Intel igpu's are only useful ( price/perf) on MS api's like d3d11 and 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Advancing Wine D3D outside of general bug fixes seems like a wasted of effort with almost everyone using D9VK, DXVK, and dgVoodoo 2 + DXVK now. Not only is DXVK and D9VK faster but many games don't render correctly without it because these layers have advanced further than Wine D3D.

All that Direct3D to OpenGL code will become useless on future macOS releases when Apple finally decides to completely remove all support for OpenGL and OpenCL.

However, vkd3d needs to continue to mature and getting that and DXVK to work with MoltenVK would be useful.
      I don't own any GPU that supports Vulkan, the closest thing is my Intel HD 4000 with experimental drivers. People who aren't interested about newest games won't have a Vulkan capable GPU at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        Advancing Wine D3D outside of general bug fixes seems like a wasted of effort with almost everyone using D9VK, DXVK, and dgVoodoo 2 + DXVK now. Not only is DXVK and D9VK faster but many games don't render correctly without it because these layers have advanced further than Wine D3D.

All that Direct3D to OpenGL code will become useless on future macOS releases when Apple finally decides to completely remove all support for OpenGL and OpenCL.

However, vkd3d needs to continue to mature and getting that and DXVK to work with MoltenVK would be useful.
        DXvk D9vk does not cover the dx1-7 games. So wined3d still has it usages for those playing legacy games.

dgVoodoo 2 site is on the malware list. There was a malware issue turn up with it. Being closed means for business usage you cannot have it audited. So dgvoodoo 2 is useless garbage to particular parties.
        Last edited by oiaohm; 14 November 2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          OpenGL is slowly becoming completely irrelevant, it makes no sense to maintain legacy code in Wine in the future.
          Opengl to Vulkan work is under way. Opengl In wine still does your dx1-7 stuff that you dxvk and d9vk don't deal with yet.

Remember wine usage is not only gamers it sometimes running legacy business applications horrible from windows 3.11 time today. Also at horrible old business hardware.

DX to Opengl support will be need for the business usage for another 10 years. So not near future that the wined3d code can be complete dropped. Vk3d recently added some features to allow dxgi to work between the vulkan and opengl parts of wine.

Things are not always simple.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            They are hiring a graphics Super Hero companies ask so much these days out of single individuals...
            There are plenty of folks out there with these qualifications and more. I worked on a team with a dozen of them, some of whom came from another project I worked on with a dozen more. None of these people were full-stack or front-end webapp developers, mind you.

Why, there are several dozen posters right here on Phoronix Forums that claim to know more about these subjects than the people who developed them. I'm sure thay'd all make excellent candidates for this position.

CodeWeavers is only looking for one of these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Nouveau doesn't have a Vulkan driver but it's really not an option anyways for gaming (aside from Kepler) due to lack of re-clocking....
              Don't think entirely of the latest and greatest. Wine can very happily play older titles (Digital preservation is one of Wines biggest benefits. It can run more Windows software than Windows 10 and this gap will only increase in the future).
              I could run many games using Wine on an old Intel GMA 9xx so long as they don't require Vulkan.

I think even without reclocking Nouveau can run Quake 4, UT2004 pretty well. To be honest at this point even the software renderer LLVM-pipe can do it; Nouveau pretty much just provides me with native screen resolutions and that is enough for now haha.

Also if we want to stay light and flexible; one day Wine might integrate some sort of x86 userland emulation to run on ARM devices like Raspberry Pi. If we have needlessly shunned all devices that do not support Vulkan, we will never be able to get our act together to hook it all up and do cool things. We will always be chasing hardware rather than making do with what we have got.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

OK, Boomer.
              I have never been called that before XD.
              I thought running old stuff was more "Hipster". I don't know which one I prefer
              Last edited by kpedersen; 14 November 2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

OK, Boomer.

What majority? According to the latest Steam survey, there are 8.3 times more Linux users than people using non-Vulkan GPUs (.1% for non-Vulkan GPUs vs .83% Linux users).

None of us feel bad or are upset that a small portion of people either haven't upgraded their GPU in 10 years or rely on their integrated Intel GPU.

Even my broke ass has bought two GPUs in the past decade. You must be one of the .1% non-Vulkan GPU minority.

Goddamn .1% percenters always trying to ruin everything for the majority of us.
                Steam survey is irrelevant in this case. There are windows commercial apps running under wine/WineD3D and their users pay for that to CodeWeavers. Desktop linux isn't only about games...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I have never been called that before XD.
                  Well, you did take the Boomer position of Make Nouveau Great Again

I thought running old stuff was more "Hipster". I don't know which one I prefer
                  With that definition -- we're both Hipsters. My GPU is the only thing in my computer under 5 years old

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                    Why, there are several dozen posters right here on Phoronix Forums that claim to know more about these subjects than the people who developed them. I'm sure thay'd all make excellent candidates for this position.

CodeWeavers is only looking for one of these guys.
                    LOL that is actually true, in the end a person who claims knowing all ends with a false resume and learning everything he said he knew at the work place

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

DXvk D9vk does not cover the dx1-7 games. So wined3d still has it usages for those playing legacy games.
                      I also think it is not necessary to map <dx9 to vulkan. Most likely the lowest performing, just barely supporting vulkan gfx adapters will drive this games with decent fps under opengl,. Or do you need 500+ fps in turok, mbk and ms flightsimulator 95?

if opengl might disappear. ..sure different case.
                      Last edited by CochainComplex; 14 November 2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X