Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CodeWeavers Is Hiring Another Graphics Developer To Help With Wine D3D / Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Is Hiring Another Graphics Developer To Help With Wine D3D / Steam Play

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Is Hiring Another Graphics Developer To Help With Wine D3D / Steam Play

CodeWeavers is looking to hire another developer to work on Wine's graphics stack and in particular the WineD3D code while having an emphasis that it's part of Valve's Steam Play (Proton) efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Value Software.

Is this a new company?

Comment

Michael It should be Valve not Value. Not sure you made the typo or CodeWeavers.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
        Michael It should be Valve not Value. Not sure you made the typo or CodeWeavers.
        CodeWeavers did, but I edited their quote now anyhow. Thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
          That typo is from CodeWeavers, not Michael.

Comment

i hate how they design wine to work in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              Why? How would you design it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                Not 100% sure what you're referring to but I hate how its backwards design (have to recreate all the missing code connections which is just about never ending) and that they can't do regression testing for all applications with each released version.

The easiest approach is to not have to do any of that by allowing eg directx itself to work but there's a reason why Wine is the way it is.

Comment

Advancing Wine D3D outside of general bug fixes seems like a wasted of effort with almost everyone using D9VK, DXVK, and dgVoodoo 2 + DXVK now. Not only is DXVK and D9VK faster but many games don't render correctly without it because these layers have advanced further than Wine D3D.

All that Direct3D to OpenGL code will become useless on future macOS releases when Apple finally decides to completely remove all support for OpenGL and OpenCL.

However, vkd3d needs to continue to mature and getting that and DXVK to work with MoltenVK would be useful.
                  Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 13 November 2019, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Vulkan is great and all but for the *majority* of devices that cannot run Vulkan, it is great to have support from Wine D3D.

Does Vulkan even work on open-source drivers like Nouveau?

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    getting that and DXVK to work with MoltenVK would be useful.
                    OpenGL can work on macOS using a wrapper similar to MoltenVK. So OpenGL will keep on working.

Comment

Working...
                    X