No announcement yet.

Valve's Proton 4.11-8 Begins Bundling VKD3D, Improves Rockstar Launcher Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets hope Red Dead Redemption 2 gets fast in working condition somewhat after steam launch date due to this.

Thanks for valve for all the important work. And lets hope if DX12 doesnt work the Vulkan API on RDR2 works atleast.

Comment

RDR2 is working or rootkits inside?

Comment

Originally posted by Dehir View Post
        Lets hope Red Dead Redemption 2 gets fast in working condition somewhat after steam launch date due to this.

Thanks for valve for all the important work. And lets hope if DX12 doesnt work the Vulkan API on RDR2 works atleast.
        Why would you even consider d3d12 when the game defaults to Vulkan which we can run "natively" so to speak?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Why would you even consider d3d12 when the game defaults to Vulkan which we can run "natively" so to speak?
          Does it have native Vulkan support? Nice!

I really hope it works in Wine then...

Comment

Is there somewhere a compiled version of Proton?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Does it have native Vulkan support? Nice!

I really hope it works in Wine then...
              Yes. I was a bit surprised when I saw it did, but I guess it's a by-product of Stadia.

Also, I don't think there was a d3d11 renderer at all, only Vulkan and d3d12 which means DXVK won't work on this game, but with Vulkan there is no need anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                Philip Rebohle is a genius. There is not other way to put it. He single-handedly put linux into the gaming arena. It freaks me out how there are thousands, tens, hundreds of thousands of developers, but still a single one can change the entire field.
                Yes, Philip Rebohle is indeed genius developer with incredible achievements, but please remember - without about 25 years of Wine development (and CodeWeavers cash) done by many equally talented developers - he would have nothing to do...

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  just tried shadow of tomb raider (demo) and the game exits on start with dx12
                  That is actually not a vkd3d bug, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider is known to work with vkd3d. You just need to install the native d3dcompiler_47 dll for it to work.

Comment

I agree with those above and still marvel at it. It's actually quite incredible what's happened (so quickly I'll add) with Linux gaming as a result of DXVK/D9VK/Steam Play/Proton/Wine/etc.

Not only has the whole universe of games opened up for us, but because of the simultaneous advances of drivers, Vulkan API and such, it's not just "hey here's a shitty version of this old Windows game for nostalgia" it's "here's the most absolute joyous experience you can ask for" and all at a single click of the mouse! Seriously, you buy a game on Steam, and it does everything for you. This is incredible as the overhead required to have maintained these wineprefixes + latest versions of everything would have been insurmountable. (not to mention this was a moot point before because it wasn't even possible to play these games!)

This has at least been my experience. The way Valve has been pushing forward with Steam Play/Proton and constantly pulling in the latest D9VK/etc changes, you can't ask for better experience as a novice Linux user who just wants to game. Cheers to all who have made this possible.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                      We NEED BattleEye running on Linux Steam/Proton/Wine badly.
                      NO PUBG, Fortnite, etc. Our son is so sad about.

We had Fortnite 'running' with Wine 4.19 and then boom...
                      PUBG paid and installed under Steam/Proton-4.11-8 click 'play'...boom.

Valve please do something about.

PS VMware Player/Workstation 14.x.x/15.x.x do not run any longer on Xeon X34xx (Nehalem).
                      I don't see BattleEye coming any time soon. It relies on kernel modules

Comment

Working...
                      X