Shadow of the Tomb Raider Now Officially Available For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    It's 39fps LLVM vs. 45fps ACO here after loading the same savegame.
    So if Michael won't benchmark with ACO, you can add a fair share of performance with at least Polaris.
    How to enable ACO eg. on Manjaro with RADV?

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post

How to enable ACO eg. on Manjaro with RADV?
      set the environment variable RADV_PERFTEST to aco
      Code:
      RADV_PERFTEST=aco some-vulkan-using-application
      You'll need to be running atleast mesa 19.2.x , but may want to run mesa-git for best results.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have that game but I've never once played it. Part of my Humble Bundle backlog I'll get to in the next decade . If you were to wager a guess, what should I expect with a 3.6ghz Intel Westmere and an RX 580 @1080p? I'm a bit intrigued if it'll play like crap or not...though I don't have a Windows install as a comparison...

But, regardless of what it is, if it's open source, can be compiled on my own system, and is for the Linux kernel, it's Linux native. If a proprietary Linux game can be considered Linux native because it runs on Linux w/o a compat layer and was compiled from source on not my own system, an open source kernel module should be considered Linux native regardless of its tree status or origin...Anyway, I'm sorry. But that just happens to be the way I feel about it ... What do you think?

(not an actual question -- quoting one of my favorite SG1 episodes there )
        If I remember correctly the fps were around 45 - 50 with my Westmere/RX580 build on Windows. Not too bad for a strategy game and was certainly playable (and is a fun game to play at least for me).

Concerning the ZFS discussion, I guess there is a distinction to make between being usable on Linux and how it interacts with the rest of the kernel. Functionally that might not matter in the perspective of the end user, but it certainly is from a legal point of view and important for the concerned developers who share the burden of maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post

Pretty much all of Feral's DX->OpenGL ports suffered a notable performance hit. Modern ports from Feral don't suffer from that particular issue, as Vulkan has proven to be much more performant for translating DX calls. The benchmarks linked to by sarmad show Linux native and DX12 battling it out at the top usually staying within 10 FPS of each other, with either outperforming the other depending on which part of the benchmark you're in. I'd say that's pretty damn performant. Feral has more than earned the right to call it "native".
          I agree, the distinction becomes less important the better the ports get and with DX12 > Vulkan, which I haven't tested yet, I'd at least consider it "near-native" enough to not bother anymore if that was indeed the case.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post

Being a native binary doesn't automatically mean that performance is good. I can write crap code that performs like garbage, but still runs natively. Good performance isn't a requirement for an application to be running natively.

I understand your concern and it's totally valid, but that's not what running "native" means.
            Good point! And as there are API differences on different platforms, that points us to the importance of writing a performance-portable engine then? At least from the end user perspective there is such an expectation that both Windows and Linux versions would perform equally good. And end users don't really care much about how developers achieve this target. Me included.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Thanks for the short term memory loss, Weed.
              I heard (some) psychedelic mushrooms improve the memory, is it true?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                I heard (some) psychedelic mushrooms improve the memory, is it true?
                Wouldn't know. Never had any.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post

DX12 games's performance is not the best currently, like Deux EX: MD, RottTR. DEVs are much better in DX11. Ergo I think DX11 -> Vulkan is currently the best option to port a game.
                  Maybe DX12 - > Vulkan is easier, but the performance will be worse than DX11.
                  That's because the very same principle is valid there. When you switch between DX11 and DX12 in a game it does not just load a small driver or just write the graphics to a different API, what happens is that you run millions of different lines of code. Big firms like Square first writes the game for one platform, then they assign several hundred devs to port the entire game to say DX12. Since Feral does not have that manpower not the monetary amount needed for this they cannot port the game in the same level.

Comment

Both RotTR and SotTR have fine performance with DX12, as do have their ports with Vulkan. There are lots of pointless DX12 renderers out there, but the TR games are definitely examples of how to do it right.

Comment

I've been working major overtime the past couple of days so I've only had time to play with the benchmark so far. It's so beautiful! My poor old RX 480 was struggling a wee bit though. Nothing seemed to make much difference until I took it down to Low. It wasn't bad, still above 50fps most of the time, but it didn't feel smooth. I found that the key setting was Ambient Occlusion. Turning that off, even on High, though not perfect, was a fairly big improvement. I wonder if it's a weak point in the driver. I came here to post about this but then saw the following...

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                      It's 39fps LLVM vs. 45fps ACO here after loading the same savegame.
                      So if Michael won't benchmark with ACO, you can add a fair share of performance with at least Polaris.
                      Wow! Thanks so much for this. Seriously, it adds a good 10% to the frame rate at least. I can now confidently choose High with Ambient Occlusion still on. I turn Motion Blur off but that's more of a personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                      X