X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Speaking of porting: Looks like they ported the D3D12 renderer this time, at least that would explain the comparable CPU performance and thread utilization.
    I'd expect D3D12 to map relatively well to Vulkan due to their low-level nature and heritage of AMD's Mantle.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Speaking of porting: Looks like they ported the D3D12 renderer this time, at least that would explain the comparable CPU performance and thread utilization.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Isn't this an oxymoron? Either it is a native game or a ported game, it cannot be both?! As mentioned in another thread today, I'd opt to call it simply a Linux port. Any dissenting opinions here?
    Dammit, because this is relevant to another thread I'm currently arguing in....it's "native" in the way that ZFS is native -- they took the Windows code-base and did enough to get it to compile and run on Linux w/o a layer like Wine.

It's like saying ZFS isn't Linux native because it's both an out of tree module as well as it originates from Solaris/BSD even though it's been rewritten in many places and compiles to native Linux code.

If XYZ program used a (I assume Feral used a) Linux compiler and the compiled code runs on Linux w/o a compat layer, it's native Linux code. Beyond that is getting pedantic and splitting hairs. And since Windows uses compat layers to run older programs, since Linux uses compat layers to run sandboxed programs, etc; the compat layer part is starting to not really matter all that much. Heck, Linux userspace can be considered a compat layer to the kernel...especially these days where we have plenty of GNU alternatives making every system not guaranteed to be a traditional GNU/Linux setup with all the traditional GNU/Linux programs and glibc.

Of if you're like the person I'm arguing with in the Zsys thread, SotTR will never be Linux native because it isn't part of the upstream Linux kernel

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    jacob, carewolf As posted in the other thread, there was a technical discussion about this on Reddit but I tend to use the word "native" like the op there does which is more restrictive: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/5cis3p/feral_interactives_indirectx/

And yes, splitting hairs with the choice of words is part of my profession.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

Isn't this an oxymoron? Either it is a native game or a ported game, it cannot be both?! As mentioned in another thread today, I'd opt to call it simply a Linux port. Any dissenting opinions here?
    Software ported to Linux using Wine is usually not considered "native" even though that's really nitpicking. After all, the Linux kernel doesn't expose POSIX interfaces any more that Win32 interfaces, in all cases the application software relies on some kind of system library.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied

No native port means it has ported to be native, as opposed to being ported as a verified emulation.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Now Officially Available For Linux

... a native Linux port ...

Leave a comment:

• Haxk20
    replied
    I mean really wow. Feral has out done themselves now. RX560X + Ryzen 5 2500U and 16Gb RAM and this is running just amazingly. Surely not amazing performance but its totally playable and just WOW.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Running Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Linuc they recommend

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Got it running right now on 6700k + RX 570 OC 8GB mesa-git ACO: Performance is flawless and no visual artifacts so far. Looks like Feral have delivered the best showcase of what is possible with Vulkan + Linux to date.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X