X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
    likely after optimisation by a human developer.
    I guess I'm old fashioned, what other kinds of developers are out there lately?

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Its like that saying -- the best Camera is the one you have on you when you need to take a picture.

Well, the correct way be it HLSL or Compiled GLSL Reference is whatever way is completed before Spring 2020.

Of course the adage could be adapted -- the best car in the world when stranded is the one you have, the best water in the world is what you have while you're in a desert, or whatever.

Sometimes the confucius concept of "practical" is a good thing. Practical usually equates to Progress.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by gutigone View Post
    You're basically repeating yourself.
    That's because Michael pays himself $6 per word

Leave a comment:

• jrdoane
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    And with "native Linux port" I'd associate something that doesn't use an abstraction layer. But games ported by Feral do which makes them not fully native (and performant). Googled and found this to back it up: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...ves_indirectx/
    Meh. I sort of agree with the last part of the first reply in that thread:
    For myself, I don't really care how a game is ported so long as it runs acceptably for me. Native is obviously objectively better because the increased performance allows more people to run the game and makes our platform more attractive. But subjectively I don't care whether it's native or a Wine wrapper or anything in-between, so long as it works.
    This is how I feel about it. I don't really care what the game does, so long as it works.

Leave a comment:

• Grim85
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    And with "native Linux port" I'd associate something that doesn't use an abstraction layer. But games ported by Feral do which makes them not fully native (and performant). Googled and found this to back it up: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...ves_indirectx/
    They use a tool to convert large parts of the source and then compile it as native, likely after optimisation by a human developer. You're splitting hairs pretty hard there buddy

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gutigone
    replied
    With DXVK in remarkably good standing for translating Direct3D 10/11 to Vulkan for use by Steam Play (Proton) and Wine, Philip Rebohle who started that project is now contributing more to Wine's VKD3D initiative for mapping Direct3D 12 on Vulkan.

As DXVK is working out damn well these days for D3D10/D3D11 games and potentially due to whatever funding engagement he has with Valve, Philip Rebohle is now focusing some attention on VKD3D for doing the same to this Direct3D 12 over Vulkan layer.
    You're basically repeating yourself.

Leave a comment:

• DXVK Lead Developer Philip Rebohle Has Begun Contributing More To Wine's VKD3D

Phoronix: DXVK Lead Developer Philip Rebohle Has Begun Contributing More To Wine's VKD3D

With DXVK in remarkably good standing for translating Direct3D 10/11 to Vulkan for use by Steam Play (Proton) and Wine, Philip Rebohle who started that project is now contributing more to Wine's VKD3D initiative for mapping Direct3D 12 on Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X