Ikey Doherty Launches Open-Source Focused Game/Software Development Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Same Ikey that promised a big Solus Qt port?

He grew tired of the users and the code. Then he left with a large pot of crowd funds.
    Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

IKey's work on Solus is proof enough to me that he's a brilliant coder and visionary. But without a full accounting of his last crowdfunding debacle, people would be foolish to trust him a second time round. Until then Gotdot is a much safer bet. Both the developers and the engine itself are proven.

Comment

Despite everything I like it, he can be a disaster but he is a funny genius!

Comment

There is a legitimate reason that I can think of for a new game engine: using ray tracing to simplify programming for rendering.

With ray tracing you don't need to worry about shadows or reflections or subsurface scattering, etc.

The D language is an interesting choice. I personally think it's a good language due to its backwards compatibility with C, while also being more modern than C++.

I think Rust would have won them more attention personally but *shrug* if he thinks he can do it then let him!

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          There is a legitimate reason that I can think of for a new game engine: using ray tracing to simplify programming for rendering.

With ray tracing you don't need to worry about shadows or reflections or subsurface scattering, etc.
          As of today, ray tracing is not mature enough. For once, it only works with NVIDIA with their DXR API, which puts 25% of the players market share at bay (source: Steam hardware survey), not a very good strategy IMO. But also there's the fact that right now, games using ray tracing are (1) slow AF and (2) only there for demo making purpose. It's incredibly beautiful in Battlefield V, but in the end, it's between 30 and 60 fps only if you have a dual 2080 RTX... which limits quite considerably your market share again. And finally, Unity has ray tracing preview in 2019.3: https://unity.com/ray-tracing

There is a parallel to do between ray tracing and physics engine. At first, physics engine were limited to certain GPU brand (PhysX and Havok) and eventually this barrier was lowered. And then games using a physics engine were not very interesting (physics wise) and it took a few years and *a lot of money* before the games could integrate physics within their gameplay.

I think the same thing will happen with ray tracing, but we're only at the very beginning of real-time ray tracing, we first need to lower the first barrier and have it working reliably on all the modern GPUs. And then have some games using it cleverly, and integrate it in their gameplay.

Comment

What's this crowfunding thing people are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardin
              Hi, as for me, it’s not very profitable now to create your own development company.
              Oh, really? If you do things right, this kind of business can be really profitable

Comment

Working...
              X