X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naquatis
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That's because commercial Vulkan games under Linux (e.g. Feral) are mostly ports, and hence a compatibility layer is needed which adds overhead and therefore lag. If the game was natively coded for Vulkan, then it would not suffer from this problem.

​​​​​​And if the lag problem persists despite that, then I'd be shouting "Hey Khronos! Look at what Microsoft is doing! You can't do that with open-source!"
    Sounds like you never played Dota 2. By the way Feral ports are really good. Funny thing is that people mostly hunting for frames per second without looking to the corners where it is really important to be able to react to a situation. The Vulkan situation under Linux is the worst I ever thought and it takes the so called community to better this situation and get something like RADV to the people. Don't get me wrong 90 % of my day I am using Linux -> but not for gaming, even I tried for the first four or five years after Gaben announced the future of gaming.
    Last edited by Naquatis; 02 October 2019, 06:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    I also wish they would use CPU model instead of GHz/core.
    Now we don't know if its base clock or boost clock. We also don't know if its real cores or threads. It might even be detected differently depending on OS.
    It should be like what they do for GPUs.
    It would make for more interesting stats.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Naquatis View Post

You will get your survey if you install Windows the first time while you have realized that Vulkan makes your games more laggi than DirectX.
    That's because commercial Vulkan games under Linux (e.g. Feral) are mostly ports, and hence a compatibility layer is needed which adds overhead and therefore lag. If the game was natively coded for Vulkan, then it would not suffer from this problem.

​​​​​​And if the lag problem persists despite that, then I'd be shouting "Hey Khronos! Look at what Microsoft is doing! You can't do that with open-source!"

Leave a comment:

• Naquatis
    replied
    Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
    Interesting that the RX 480 is the most popular GPU on linux.

It is also weird that the RX 480 is up by 0.7% in the last month, since these are not on sale new for a long time now.
    To me it indicates that the trends of the survey is kind of lacking approx 2 years behind or linux users are buying up all the old RX 480s ...

But come to think of it. I bought a new PC about 2 months ago, but I am not expecting to see a another steam survey for the next year or more. In this light it explains why the trends are more than 2 years old.
    You will get your survey if you install Windows the first time while you have realized that Vulkan makes your games more laggi than DirectX.
    Last edited by Naquatis; 02 October 2019, 04:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    Interesting that the RX 480 is the most popular GPU on linux.

It is also weird that the RX 480 is up by 0.7% in the last month, since these are not on sale new for a long time now.
    To me it indicates that the trends of the survey is kind of lagging approx 2 years behind or linux users are buying up all the old RX 480s ...

But come to think of it. I bought a new PC about 2 months ago, but I am not expecting to see another steam survey for the next year or more. In this light it explains why the trends are more than 2 years old.
    Last edited by Raka555; 02 October 2019, 04:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    It's because I got a survey.

Heh, ok, no.

But I did get a survey.

And after the survey I got to see the stats pages with things like continued crazy fluctation in language used, indications that 6-core processors may be a lot more common for gaming than 8 (though still not even 1/4 of the Steam market), and my personal favourite:

Ladies and Gentlemen! Adoption for the much ballyhooed advancement of '4K' monitor technology is rapidly closing in on the impressive milestone of: 2%

And it's not the only source, since over at Gamingonlinux 4K adoption is also abysmal.

I'm not sure why Valve's numbers don't match the general perception of gaming hardware. I do have to wonder whether the general perception could be as extremely far off as Steam says it is. But after seeing their numbers for the first time a few years ago, pre-Ryzen it may have been, I no longer wondered why game devs were dragging heels on multithreading. It was because they didn't see a driving need to cater to the less than 3% of the market that had anything above quad-core, or quad-core itself struggling at 25%. :/

Leave a comment:

• anth
    replied
    English is up and Chinese down. Languages moving in that direction seems to have a strong correlation with OS changes moving this way too.

VR is down slightly, despite increases in use of recently released headsets. I expect that VR is still increasing in absolute numbers suggesting the total number of Steam accounts is up, so the change for Linux being better than that for VR is good news.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Steam Linux marketshare measurement for September ticked up slightly and to the highest point we have seen in a a number of months...

Leave a comment:

• fagnerln
    replied
    The question is, how much accounts increased in this time? There's a lot of bots and new accounts of banned users, which I bet that account as a windows.

IMO is preferably to consider the number total of users than %

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Steam Linux Marketshare Ticks Up Higher For September

Steam Linux Marketshare Ticks Up Higher For September

Phoronix: Steam Linux Marketshare Ticks Up Higher For September

The Steam Linux marketshare measurement for September ticked up slightly and to the highest point we have seen in a a number of months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X