Steam Linux Marketshare Ticks Up Higher For September

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

I think it has to do with the survey being kinda bad at its job. If you have an intel processor and a discrete GPU, it's very likely to report the intel graphics instead. And if later you switch to a Ryzen and keep the GPU, it will report correctly. That way the % goes up without anyone actually buying a new video card.

Also my RX580 reports as a RX580, so I don't think it's those cards posing as the wrong model.
    Sometime around Mesa 19.1/19.2 and Linux 5.1/5.2, mine quit reporting itself as a 480 via glxgears and native Linux programs. I don't know what you're using, but if most of your software is pretty up-to-date, it probably does report correctly outside of odd cases like mine now.

On 19.3 and Linux 5.3 I still see it occasionally reported as either the generic POLARIS10 or as an RX 480 under Wine and Proton with DXVK. I haven't played any games with D9VK or Wine's DX11 in a good while to know what they report my GPU as these days.

Looking at Steam's reported Linux OS numbers, the majority of people are on Ubuntu LTS followed by Ubuntu, Arch, & Manjaro which are using Mesa 16.04, 19.0, 19.1, & 19.1 paired with Linux 4.15, 5.0, 5.3, & 5.2 meaning that the majority of people are using versions of Mesa and the kernel that, for me with those combinations, reported my 580 as a 480.

What's interesting is if the trend in their OS numbers continue, it'll soon be Ubuntu LTS, Arch, Ubuntu, Manjaro. Interesting that "hard to use" Arch is the #3 most used distribution they're reporting. I was expecting to see one of the heavyweights like Suse, Debian, or Fedora after the Ubuntu family, not Arch & Noob Arch, I mean, Manjaro.

Comment

I just copy/pasted this from Steam because I noticed something odd.

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS 64 bit
      Ubuntu 19.04 64 bit
      "Arch Linux" 64 bit
      "Manjaro Linux" 64 bit
      So, um, I have to ask: Why are Arch & Manjaro in parentheses, Steam? Why are we "different"?

Comment

Possibly because they are rolling releases and they don't grab specific distro versions for the stats?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          So, um, I have to ask: Why are Arch & Manjaro in parentheses, Steam? Why are we "different"?
          I assume that's how they identify to the steam survey, likely a developer choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
            Possibly because they are rolling releases and they don't grab specific distro versions for the stats?
            Possibly, but Manjaro does have versioned releases now. Still rolling, but the release number gets bumped after enough major packages get updated. Been like that for the past year-ish. Still, it's just odd to me that it's Ubuntu and "Arch".

Code:
            Some pretty smart Phoronix posters
            1. tildearrow
            2. Ryao
            3. "starshipeleven"
            4. "Grogan"

Comment

I just copy/pasted this from Steam because I noticed something odd.

Oneword vs. "Two words"

Comment

My Fedora desktop shows up as Unknown (64 bit) and Slackware laptop as Linux 4.4 (64 bit). Not a big deal, I'm glad Valve shows Linux as much love as it does considering we're a percent of a percent but checking a distro in my experience is as simple as doing `cat /etc/*-release`; I do this on servers at work at various jobs I've had just out of curiosity to see which distro/version we have out there. I guess Ubuntu & Manjaro would cover most users but I'm always curious if there's people out there gaming on distros that would be more unusual/obscure choices like RHEL or Void

Comment

To put the 0.83% in perspective, it is more than the entire Italian speaking community on steam, which is at 0.78%

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                    To put the 0.83% in perspective, it is more than the entire Italian speaking community on steam, which is at 0.78%
                    And they're barely telling us half of what that .83% consists of. Add up their numbers and Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, & Ubuntu LTS make up .44%. Makes me wonder what the other .43% are using.

Maybe that's Steam's way of saying to us, "Use Ubuntu, Arch, or Manjaro"?

So, do we get an Italian voice reveal if you get 4M likes?

Comment

Possibly, but Manjaro does have versioned releases now. Still rolling, but the release number gets bumped after enough major packages get updated. Been like that for the past year-ish. Still, it's just odd to me that it's Ubuntu and "Arch".

Code:
                      Some pretty smart Phoronix posters
                      1. tildearrow
                      2. Ryao
                      3. "starshipeleven"
                      4. "Grogan"
                      What?

Comment

Working...
                      X