Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Fixes Up Handling For Games With Vulkan Async Compute

Phoronix: Steam Fixes Up Handling For Games With Vulkan Async Compute

A Steam beta update out today is notable for Linux gamers to avoid possible GPU crashes and corruption of the Steam overlay...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ute-Game-Fixed

does nvidia support async vulkan?

Comment

i really really hope they find a fix for steam remote play black screen from linux to linux.
      and i'd appreciate if they would integrate fixes found by their community (eg LD_PRELOAD openal for civ5 and so on)

otherwise i love them... finally i could get rid of my win gaming vm. linux only \o/ after 22yrs of linux usage - finally i am there.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        does nvidia support async vulkan?
        Nvidia cards don't support asynchronous compute, they use preemption and context switch to mimic the behaviour. As far as I known, only all GCN and RDNA chips including those equipping Playstation 4 series and XBox One family have asynchronous compute from the beginning. Majority of PC games implements the Nvidia approach preemption and context switching leaving asynchronous compute mostly unused.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
          i really really hope they find a fix for steam remote play black screen from linux to linux.
          I have recently used it from linux to linux without an issue. Is it not supposed to work?

Comment

and i'd appreciate if they would integrate fixes found by their community (eg LD_PRELOAD openal for civ5 and so on)

otherwise i love them... finally i could get rid of my win gaming vm. linux only \o/ after 22yrs of linux usage - finally i am there.
            Have you tried Flatpak Steam? There's now a mechanism that allows adding per-game quirks in the application so it starts working for everyone out of the box after that. How's that for community-driven?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

I have recently used it from linux to linux without an issue. Is it not supposed to work?
              Most do. With many I have to restart streaming often.
              No luck with Civ5 or Civ6

Comment

Most do. With many I have to restart streaming often.
                No luck with Civ5 or Civ6
                For what it's worth I don't use this regularly, just randomly tested it out after getting Steam running via flatpak on fedora silverblue (I think I tested KotOR).

I also highly recommend the flatpak installation. All of the regular tooling supports it too via documentation, like protontricks.

Comment

Working...
                X