X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daktyl198
    replied
    tildearrow
    im 100% sure that it’s at least 30% of users that have nitro. On top of that, it doesn’t take $1 million/month to serve their 130 million users, let alone $13 million. All they serve is an api. There’s basically 0 processing going on server side that isn’t database related.

im not saying they don’t sell user data, they probably do, but at the same time they’re making bank off of nitro. They don’t *have* to sell user data to pay back the VCs that funded them.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Y’all know Discord Nitro exists as a “premium” subscription to the service. That’s how they’re making their money so far.
    If only 1% of its users (130 million) are Nitro subscribers, then that means an income of only $13 million per month, or even lower. I doubt that can cope with the vast amount of users they serve...

I'm pretty sure they sell our data to other companies, and that is where the revenue is.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Y’all know Discord Nitro exists as a “premium” subscription to the service. That’s how they’re making their money so far.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I agree, this is misleading. Calling it a server kind leads you to believe that it is something you own, and that you can move it, or transfer it, or do what you want with it.
    Exactly.

On the other hand, the centralization is what makes it so easy to use. Also for gamers it makes it safer, because nobody admin can see their IP address and use that conduct denial-of-service attacks on the player to make him lag and die.
    First sentence: Exactly, and that's a problem...
    Second sentence: Furthermore, that also makes it easier for people to commit fraud (of any kind), because nobody will be able to trace them. This problem is more common in Facebook/WhatsApp though.

If an app does its own push notifications without GCM then that leads to more battery and network usage.
    Is there any reason why? Is the battery usage negligible?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    - Centralization. Under Discord, a "server" isn't a true server. It is the most misleading name for a clan, that even its developers don't want to call it "server" (they internally call it "guild"). It's just annoying, because there is NO server. What the hell did they do here?!
    I agree, this is misleading. Calling it a server kind leads you to believe that it is something you own, and that you can move it, or transfer it, or do what you want with it.

On the other hand, the centralization is what makes it so easy to use. Also for gamers it makes it safer, because nobody admin can see their IP address and use that conduct denial-of-service attacks on the player to make him lag and die.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Furthermore, your typical privacy issues deal. Sadly, nobody cares and hence this will not be fixed.
    - Usage of Google Play Services for notifications in the mobile app. This means that if you have enabled notifications, they will go through Google...
    Well, I think Android works in the way that all apps that use push notification go through Google Cloud Messenging (GCM) that way it coordinates, and orchestrated in such a way that only one connection is needed. If an app does its own push notifications without GCM then that leads to more battery and network usage.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I think these days most people moved to Discord which is a free online service, so its easy to setup since you don't need to host your own server.
    It integrates well with games, has lots of features such as bots, streaming mode, etc.
    You can use it either on the web, or through its app which is available for Windows, Linux, Mac (it is Electron-based). Unfortunately it is proprietary software though.
    The things I hate about Discord are:

- Lack of certain tools for admins, and especially regarding the edit/delete system. Under Discord, you can basically edit any post, which may come in handy if you make a mistake or something, but there isn't any threshold, which means you can basically change the whole message by editing it. Where the hell is the edit history?! Who thought engineering a chat system without edit history was a good idea? Yeah, I know, there is "edit time" now, but that's like if I were to just tell you when did I take out some boxes in the attic instead of what boxes did I take out. And the worst, is deletions. You can't see deleted messages. This means I can tell anyone "fuck you" when nobody is there (say, because I secretly hate them) and just delete it afterwards, and nobody will notice. Even vBulletin/SMF/phpBB and other forum software allow admins/mods see deleted posts, and also perma-delete them, but at least there IS a good reason for that. In Discord, the user is given the power to perma-delete. What the heck?! Is this Snapchat? The only way we could work around that is by writing a bot and attaching it permanently to the guild, but, I mean, what about direct messaging? You can't do that on direct messaging! And I have a friend that sometimes edits out a few things in a sort of suspicious way (one time I remember talking with him, and when I was sleeping he deleted his messages and told me "who are you talking to?". super shady, stupid and insane, I know), which makes me require this feature.
    - Centralization. Under Discord, a "server" isn't a true server. It is the most misleading name for a clan, that even its developers don't want to call it "server" (they internally call it "guild"). It's just annoying, because there is NO server. What the hell did they do here?! Furthermore, your typical privacy issues deal. Sadly, nobody cares and hence this will not be fixed.
    - Usage of Google Play Services for notifications in the mobile app. This means that if you have enabled notifications, they will go through Google, the massive data-collecting monster that can only be compared with Lavos in power:
    it is claimed once in the series that Lavos directly influenced all technology and life on the planet, evolving the planet's life forms to cultivate it, and make itself stronger.
    Replace "Lavos" with Google:
    it is claimed once in the series that Google directly influenced all technology and life on the planet, evolving the planet's life forms to cultivate it, and make itself stronger.
    and this is exactly and insanely very true. Yes, I know they use this probably for battery savings since you keep less active connections, but, couldn't they offer a Google-less path? (also, kernel developers, could you do something about this? how is it that multiple active connections drain more battery?)
    - The recent UI dumbing-downs. First, around March, they replaced the icons to less-serious ones, and the one I hate most is the "@". It looks like a kindergarten child drew that! These new icons look very "jumbo", and not everyone wants them! Second, in July-August or so, they replaced the online status icons with "accessible" versions (e.g. a moon for Idle instead of a yellow circle). But they didn't even make it an option, no, they made it mandatory for all users. What if I don't want them? There are settings for setting the theme, and enabling a TTS voice so the blind can use it, but why isn't there an option for this?!

I'm pretty sure that's why it's called Discord. It creates discord between Discord and the administrator/power user.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 15 September 2019, 03:09 AM. Reason: done. made public as he still does this shady crap

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    It is not about "earning money", it is about "how" they earn money. If they earn money from paid support, like Red Hat or Nextcloud, that's a thing. If they earn money by selling users' data, like Facebook, that's another.
    i'm sure proprietary devs will gladly accept your money for paid subscription. but most users prefer free advertising

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    what makes you think open source developers are not trying to earn money?
    It is not about "earning money", it is about "how" they earn money. If they earn money from paid support, like Red Hat or Nextcloud, that's a thing. If they earn money by selling users' data, like Facebook, that's another.

EDIT: The advantage of FOSS is that, if the main developing company/organization/person, if any, do something bad, you can always fork it. That's what happened with XFree86, MySQL, OpenOffice, Owncloud… For much less than users' data merchandising.
    Last edited by ALRBP; 09 September 2019, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    To me, this "free" policy is just a way to achieve near-total market domination, then, use this domination to earn money, in a way or another.
    what makes you think open source developers are not trying to earn money?

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied
    I think these days most people moved to Discord which is a free online service, so its easy to setup since you don't need to host your own server.
    It integrates well with games, has lots of features such as bots, streaming mode, etc.
    You can use it either on the web, or through its app which is available for Windows, Linux, Mac (it is Electron-based). Unfortunately it is proprietary software though.
    Yes, Discord works very well, is easy to use, very easy to set up and free. But do you really think a private company would pay the running costs of such a service without expecting some kind of compensation ?

To me, this "free" policy is just a way to achieve near-total market domination, then, use this domination to earn money, in a way or another. For now, Discord lives from investments, not profit, but investors will want their money back at some time. Either the company will go bankrupt or it will gain money from something. It can be a cheap subscription, ads, users' data commerce or paid services promotion/lock-in. They may, for example, force people to use their game store, or reduce voice quality for people without premium subscription, or simply add ads to their software.

People should really be more careful about "free" services on the Internet. There is usually some kind of counterpart, present or future, which can be more or less acceptable. I don't know exactly what will append with Discord, but there is a high probability that we will be very happy to have an up-to-date Mumble in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X