20-Way Linux Graphics Card Comparison For Total War: Three Kingdoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disobeyedtoast View Post
    I'd be very interested to see a CPU comparison on this game considering the Total War series is usually CPU bound. Speaking of which, I wonder when that Ryzen 3000 gaming benchmark is going to be.
    If it helps, I get ~31.3 fps on default ultra @ 1440p with my GTX 1070 and 3700X. Three Kingdoms seems to be fairly GPU bottlenecked on Linux at least. Windows benchmarks but the 1070 around 35 fps, but the rx 5700 xt over 50 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Are you using stock or custom cards for RX 5700 / 5700 XT? With better cooling, they perform better too, like any 7 nm chips, so if you are using stock, better get something like Sapphire Pulse cards for them. They are more adequate.
      Pretty much every benchmark has shown a pretty small performance up tick for the AIB cards (1-2% at best), just much better thermals.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Looks like poor optimization. Hitting 60fps ultra is extremely difficult both at 1080p and 1440p. High settings performance is also bad, you need a vega 56 class GPU for 1080p high 60fps.
        Yeah generally these Total games have really low FPS compared to the visuals IMHO, same on Windows. Not sure what they're doing...

Comment

Michael why RX 580 is missing in performance/cost chart?

Comment

Originally posted by TazKhaelyor View Post
            Thank you for the comparison !

Even with support still seeming a bit dodgy, I'm pretty happy with ordering a RX5700 (MSI custom).
            Before you order consider checking out this video:

(I started it at the relevant point)
            In summary: bad thermal pad positioning results in unnecessarily high VRM temps. He prefers the Sapphire Pulse cooling system.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Before you order consider checking out this video:

(I started it at the relevant point)
              In summary: bad thermal pad positioning results in unnecessarily high VRM temps. He prefers the Sapphire Pulse cooling system.
              Thanks, but it's still better than the blower (and I'm getting the Mech, cheaper). I know I could get a bit more but the Sapphire is close to 50 bucks more, and I really don't need it. If I didn't have a good offer on buying my current graphics card I would have waited for Navi 14 (and probably price drops).

Comment

Originally posted by TazKhaelyor View Post

Thanks, but it's still better than the blower (and I'm getting the Mech, cheaper). I know I could get a bit more but the Sapphire is close to 50 bucks more, and I really don't need it. If I didn't have a good offer on buying my current graphics card I would have waited for Navi 14 (and probably price drops).
                Sounds reasonable Just thought I'd give you the info to help with your decision.

Comment

Working...
                X