Proton 4.11-3 Pulls In D9VK 0.20, Taps Gamepads Directly, Fsync Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 4.11-3 Pulls In D9VK 0.20, Taps Gamepads Directly, Fsync Fixes

Phoronix: Proton 4.11-3 Pulls In D9VK 0.20, Taps Gamepads Directly, Fsync Fixes

Valve's Wine-based Proton for powering Steam Play to run Windows games on Linux is seeing more exciting work in their 4.11 branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks like Wine is picking up steam (pun intended) thanks to Valve! 😊

Comment

games will now attempt to access gamepad devices directly rather than through emulation
      I sure hope this finally fixes all the gamepad issues I've been getting. I've had more issues with gamepads in Proton than DRMs.

Comment

Taps Gamepads? What gamepads are those? I cant make sense of a sentence when Every Word Starts With A Capital.

Comment

Depending on what "direct gamepad access" means, it might even be useful for work!

Incidentally, I was just trying out DVBAnalyser in wine at work today, but the USB block device wasn't detected, and it refuses to work without that.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
            Depending on what "direct gamepad access" means, it might even be useful for work!

Incidentally, I was just trying out DVBAnalyser in wine at work today, but the USB block device wasn't detected, and it refuses to work without that.
            Wine has never had anything that could resemble decent USB support. The WINE developers have a philosophy they won't bend on which is to not introduce elements into their code that is platform specific and as a result they ignored the pre-existing linux drivers and tried the monumental task of making some kind of platform agnostic WINE only USB library. Or that's my understanding of how they're tackling USB support over there... discussions about this across the web that I've seen don't really delve into this topic more than that they won't use linux usb drivers.

That's one of the reasons I'm so stoked for Valve's work with Proton. It's like a linux specific fork and they can make a lot of design choices that would be a no-brainer for translation software that is tailored specifically for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

Wine has never had anything that could resemble decent USB support. The WINE developers have a philosophy they won't bend on which is to not introduce elements into their code that is platform specific and as a result they ignored the pre-existing linux drivers and tried the monumental task of making some kind of platform agnostic WINE only USB library. Or that's my understanding of how they're tackling USB support over there... discussions about this across the web that I've seen don't really delve into this topic more than that they won't use linux usb drivers.

That's one of the reasons I'm so stoked for Valve's work with Proton. It's like a linux specific fork and they can make a lot of design choices that would be a no-brainer for translation software that is tailored specifically for linux.
              I consider Wine has too many bad design choices, it's ridicule.

I really hope Proton not only pressures Wine to change those bad choices to better ones, but also do efforts in making lots of Wine-Staging patches be merged upstream too. Please make it happen!

Any Wine/Proton developers here?

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                Wine has plenty of platform specific stuff. Did oiaohm feed you this bullshit?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Wine has plenty of platform specific stuff. Did oiaohm feed you this bullshit?
                  His post is not "bullshit". Do you really hate oiaohm that much?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    His post is not "bullshit". Do you really hate oiaohm that much?
                    No but he always makes up so much stuff and misinformation about things, Wine is one of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X