Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 4.11-2 Pulls In Newest DXVK While Fixing High Refresh Rates For Older Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 4.11-2 Pulls In Newest DXVK While Fixing High Refresh Rates For Older Games

Phoronix: Proton 4.11-2 Pulls In Newest DXVK While Fixing High Refresh Rates For Older Games

Following the big Proton 4.11 update for Valve's Steam Play that just arrived over one week ago, a second update to this Wine-derived software is now available for enhancing the Windows games on Linux experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This means the big flaw in DXVK 1.3 mentioned by kenjitamura is now fixed. Awesome.

Comment

How do I report a game crash when I try to play Chrono Trigger? When I try to buy something from the shop by moving the cursor down, the game crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        How do I report a game crash when I try to play Chrono Trigger? When I try to buy something from the shop by moving the cursor down, the game crashes.
        https://www.protondb.com/app/613830
        Chrono Trigger has an issue open here already: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/440

There is some discussion on the shop crash and I'm sure any info you can add would be helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Chrono Trigger has an issue open here already: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/440

There is some discussion on the shop crash and I'm sure any info you can add would be helpful
          Thanks. I actually have seen this issue about a couple of months and it seems the issue is at a standstill for a long time. No updates so far...

I'm going to find out of stack trace/unhandled exception can help anyone, including developers...
          Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 08 August 2019, 11:44 PM.

Comment

One thing I'm highly suspicious about is whether Proton version will ever be updated for games after they get whitelisted. I doubt many bother setting newer version on manually and submitting results.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie
              Chrono Trigger?
              I hate to go off-topic, but I cannot resist to say that the Chrono Trigger Windows remake is a massive insult to the game.
              It's like they suddenly stopped caring about a game that was so successful, and instead forcing us into the hype train (Final Fantasy) by giving us such a horrendous low-quality port of a port of a port of a port (yes, Chrono Trigger Windows is a port of the Android/iOS version, which is a port of the DS version, which is a port of the PlayStation version, which is a port of the original SNES version).
              The menu is horrible, the 8:7 pixel aspect ratio annoys me indefinitely, I don't like the DS script and a ton of other things. (especially that "Oof!" at the Marle part, seriously I freaking hate that suddenly-world-adopted onomatopoeia to no END!!!)
              They could have spent a few more years on improving the graphics and gameplay, and we'd have a great Chrono remake, but no, they just decided to slack off, keep releasing those Final Fantasies (it's been like 15 fantasies already, so I am really doubtful about the "Final" part), and simply scale the output size to make Chrono Trigger Mobile a Windows game.
              Even fans did better than the original Square team on remaking the game, but Square kept posting takedown notices to prevent the better stuff from coming out!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I hate to go off-topic, but I cannot resist to say that the Chrono Trigger Windows remake is a massive insult to the game.
                It's like they suddenly stopped caring about a game that was so successful, and instead forcing us into the hype train (Final Fantasy) by giving us such a horrendous low-quality port of a port of a port of a port (yes, Chrono Trigger Windows is a port of the Android/iOS version, which is a port of the DS version, which is a port of the PlayStation version, which is a port of the original SNES version).
                The menu is horrible, the 8:7 pixel aspect ratio annoys me indefinitely, I don't like the DS script and a ton of other things. (especially that "Oof!" at the Marle part, seriously I freaking hate that suddenly-world-adopted onomatopoeia to no END!!!)
                They could have spent a few more years on improving the graphics and gameplay, and we'd have a great Chrono remake, but no, they just decided to slack off, keep releasing those Final Fantasies (it's been like 15 fantasies already, so I am really doubtful about the "Final" part), and simply scale the output size to make Chrono Trigger Mobile a Windows game.
                Even fans did better than the original Square team on remaking the game, but Square kept posting takedown notices to prevent the better stuff from coming out!
                Old FF remakes tend to have a similar story. Windows ports are horrible. I missed them FF games when they were released. Saw a friend playing FF7 or something, did not trigger my fancy, I lectured him about Nethack and that is The Game. Now during past 10 years I have experienced DQ 1-10 playthroughs and FF 1-4 playthroughs. Waiting for DQ 11 on Switch and FF 5 to work on Proton. Relaxing couch games.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  One thing I'm highly suspicious about is whether Proton version will ever be updated for games after they get whitelisted. I doubt many bother setting newer version on manually and submitting results.
                  Well, if they're whitelisted, they don't need to be updated. They're already proven working with a specific version, so it's one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations. I think it'd be nice if they got a newer version of Proton, but kind of the point of Valve's whitelist is so you are guaranteed it will work (and if it doesn't, it's your fault). It's kind of a waste of time and resources for them to thoroughly test if the game runs flawlessly after every major Proton release, so, I think it would actually make sense if they just stuck with an old version.

All that being said, I'm a little bit surprised Valve hasn't been pushing harder for increasing their whitelist. To most of us Linux users, we don't really care - we're already running Linux, so for the most part we already know what works and what doesn't. To me, the whitelist is a way to convince Windows/Mac users to switch, since they're not interested in struggling to get games to work. When there's only maybe 30 or so whitelisted titles, that doesn't sound very promising, even though there are dozens of platinum-rated games.

Comment

This update made both Grip and Redout unplayable for me. Menus load fine, but the game itself crashes to desktop. Proton 4.2-9 works fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X