Steam Linux Usage Slipped In July According To Valve's Current Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    I wonder what the value proposition is for Valve to continue investing in Linux gaming. I mean it's awesome and I'm a full-time Linux user (with the exception of a Windows VM), gaming on Linux has improved leaps and bounds but I'm not seeing a return on their investment with a sub 1% user base.
    They will intend to make another home console play at some point in the future when DXVK and VK9 are deemed to be “good enough”.

Comment

I wonder if Linux users are less likely to agree to take part in the survey than Windows users. i.e some new Linux gamers left Windows to get away from the analytics and "tracking".

Is there any analytics tracking on their website? i.e browser stats are potentially more reliable because they include everyone. Possibly even the html element embedded within Steam itself. It would be interesting if this remotely agrees with the survey results. My guess would be that it indicates more Linux users than the survey.

Comment

I usually get the survey after not being on Steam for awhile or the odd time I've tested it on a new installation, whether it be windows or linux. I usually skip the survey if it appears on the rare occurrence I'm testing on Windows as I use Linux 99.9% of the year.

Comment

Why is the majority here like "hurr-durr I've never got the survey, Steam is lying!"? Its how random sampling is supposed to work! For example, I was invited into the survey once on Windows in around 10 years of usage, while in 4 years on Linux it happened twice.

The global Linux desktop market share is around 2% (averaging from different sources). And as Linux isn't the most pleasant OS for gaming and not every user uses Steam - the value around 0.7%-0.8% seems pretty realistic.

I'm pretty sure that in a poll from Phoronix users about gaming on Linux with answers "using Steam/Proton"/"Gamer, but avoiding Steam's Proton"/"Don't use Linux for gaming" only around 20% to 25% will select the first option.

Comment

I wonder how many Linux users run Steam Beta which doesn't ever give survey prompts.

Comment

I used to get the survey every month on windows... On linux, i've only ever seen the survey twice in the past 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I wonder how many Linux users run Steam Beta which doesn't ever give survey prompts.
                I could have sworn I got the survey not that long ago on the Steam beta.. It's pretty much what I run all the time, but maybe you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

They will intend to make another home console play at some point in the future when DXVK and VK9 are deemed to be “good enough”.
                  They adopted D9VK as an opt-in option. VK9 development is on hiatus.

Comment

I love how each and every month the phoronix zealots feel obliged to come up with explanations including all kinds of theories, EXCEPT the obvious one: no one gives a rat's @ss about Linux gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      Another lame excuse.

Comment

Working...
                      X