Steam Linux Usage Slipped In July According To Valve's Current Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Slipped In July According To Valve's Current Data

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Slipped In July According To Valve's Current Data

While Steam Play continues getting better for allowing more Windows games to run on Linux to enhance the overall Linux gaming ecosystem, Valve's latest monthly data for Steam shows another month-to-month decline in usage at least on percentage terms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

People are adopting the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 released 9 years ago faster than Linux (+0.19%)

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
      People are adopting the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 released 9 years ago faster than Linux (+0.19%)
      Maybe it means a decrease on the rest of cards.

Comment

Here's an idea for Valve regarding the survey:
        - At first launch, ask the user if they want to opt in.
        - Afterwards, on every launch, send survey data.

This may be much better than the current "ask-every-who-knows-how-long-months" approach.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I'm mostly joking, all the stats are all over the place.

Dual core processors increased by+1.44%, Less people have more that 1TB of storage than last month
          -0.88% .
          Its hard to take these very seriously.

Comment

So on steam Intel CPU usage slighlty raises, meanwhile at the same period elsewhere AMD sells CPUs like crazy:

7nm Ryzen mops the floor with Intel: 75% of rev and 80% of sold CPUs @ mindfactory.de July 2019

Truth must be somewhere in between

Comment

I, personally, have not declined.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                So on steam Intel CPU usage slighlty raises, meanwhile at the same period elsewhere AMD sells CPUs like crazy:

7nm Ryzen mops the floor with Intel: 75% of rev and 80% of sold CPUs @ mindfactory.de July 2019

Truth must be somewhere in between
                They might not have sold enough yet to make a dent in market share numbers. Also, there are plenty of gamers buying the i9-9900k hardware for like a 3% performance boost over AMD in certain games. Valveā€™s numbers are not necessarily indicative of the broader market.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

it could be related to the "fake" GPUs on ebay, i.e. "GTX 9xx" and "GTX 10xx" cards that are actually renamed GTS 450s. I see them on craigslist sometimes, so they are getting around.

Comment

I was never asked to fill survey on Linux. But, I was asked 3 times to fill survey on Windows. And, I have used Windows only to try Windows-only games, and it was only 0.5% of the whole time I had spent playing on Steam. Of course, statistics show lower Linux usage, if survey opens only (mostly) on Windows platform.

Comment

Working...
                    X