Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton Re-Based To Wine 4.11, Adds D9VK Direct3D 9, Better CPU Utilization & DXVK 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmalkav View Post
    Great news, I have to give it a try with Guild Wars 2, that have always work really poorly on my computer no matter if using plain Wine, D9VK or what. I suspect my FX-8350 is not the most convenient CPU for running this game on Linux.
    The FX 8350 is generally a bad choice for running GW2, and that includes Windows.
    GW2's CPU hunger is huge, and it's very badly single-thread performance limited. A Ryzen 3000 or Intel ix-9000 would be a BIG upgrade over that.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
      Proton is not even 1 year old.
      No offense, but it sounds like a poor excuse. Proton is basically a piece of software build on top of WINE, which is over a quarter of a century old. Of course, additional components like DXVK still matter here, but WINE is the main part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
        Is Vulkan still in the shitter for GCN 1.0 cards? Would this work for Radeon 7850?
        You just need some kernel options to use Vulkan on Radeon 7850 - I believe it's was the following I used: radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          For now, Proton is a big disappointment for me. Most AAA, big name games on my library doesn't work (Batman' Arkham games, Call of Dutys), some that do work have huge problems (Rage for example, big artifacts on screen). If I have to do tons of teaks to get things working, I'm better installing Windows on a partition and getting better performance.

Will stick to my policy to only buy games explicitly released for Linux, with a developer behind making sure things just work.
          As others have pointed out, did you check the protondb?
          A lot of these games don't work because of their DRMs. To my recollection, I got 4 of my AAA games working just by downloading cracked "no DRM" binaries. It's usually just a few MB of libraries and the launcher .exe - you don't need to re-download the entire game. The games still work with Steam's achievements. I think in some cases you might lose online multiplayer, and you shouldn't do Steam's data verification or else it'll delete the cracked files and replace them with the originals.
          So far, only one of my games didn't work using this method (Sleeping Dogs) but I think that's because of some other unrelated rendering issue.
          And no, I'm not endorsing piracy, I'm just trying to show a way where you can actually play a game that you already paid for.

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
          No offense, but it sounds like a poor excuse. Proton is basically a piece of software build on top of WINE, which is over a quarter of a century old. Of course, additional components like DXVK still matter here, but WINE is the main part of it.
          The point ryao was trying to make is that when Proton was first released, there were a lot of games that didn't work properly, or at all. I don't have any stats (though I sure would like to see them) but from my own observation, Proton has exploded with better compatibility in less than a year. That wasn't thanks to wine, that was thanks to Valve. Albeit, things like winetricks really makes a big difference, but I have noticed how after every major update to Proton, at least one of my non-working games suddenly "just worked". That's progress worth appreciating.

Comment

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
            That post was along the lines of "it's only one year old and it's made so many things better and workable and how it's great that we're getting to the point that instead of weird bugs we share the same bugs with Windows".

In the case of Hitman 2 we share the same bugs with both Windows and PS4. That's pretty cool when you think about it.

Yeah it's built on top of a quarter century of other people's work, but, then again, so is damn near everything else on Linux. Take that for what it's worth. That's just how Linux, BSD, and the Greater Open Source World works. Complaining about Steam, Wine, and Proton is like complaining about Red Hat using the Linux kernel and the Gnome desktop...ohh, Red Hat didn't create them and they're making a profit from them so they're bad and stealing

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              As others have pointed out, did you check the protondb?
              A lot of these games don't work because of their DRMs. To my recollection, I got 4 of my AAA games working just by downloading cracked "no DRM" binaries. It's usually just a few MB of libraries and the launcher .exe - you don't need to re-download the entire game. The games still work with Steam's achievements. I think in some cases you might lose online multiplayer, and you shouldn't do Steam's data verification or else it'll delete the cracked files and replace them with the originals.
              So far, only one of my games didn't work using this method (Sleeping Dogs) but I think that's because of some other unrelated rendering issue.
              And no, I'm not endorsing piracy, I'm just trying to show a way where you can actually play a game that you already paid for.
              I know ProntonDB, it's in my bookmarks. Like I had said, if I have to fix a game to make it run, I prefer to just install Windows, since downloading those malware infested pirated games is not for me (yeah yeah, Windows is spyware, haha). Since I had stopped buying Windows games when Steam launched on Linux, most off my library is native Linux, with hundreds of installed games at my disposal on a 2GB HDD. Since I became disappointed with most recent AAA games (like CoD), I just became satisfied play random indie games were developers are not afraid to explore new ideas.

I even stopped playing L4D2 with some friends, because they refuse to use Steam's Workshop for community maps, instead preferring to grab them on some random website with slow downloads and manually unzipping and putting files on a folder. Life is too short for that kind of shenanigan, for just one match, when you can do the same with one click.

Comment

I know ProntonDB, it's in my bookmarks. Like I had said, if I have to fix a game to make it run, I prefer to just install Windows, since downloading those malware infested pirated games is not for me (yeah yeah, Windows is spyware, haha). Since I had stopped buying Windows games when Steam launched on Linux, most off my library is native Linux, with hundreds of installed games at my disposal on a 2GB HDD. Since I became disappointed with most recent AAA games (like CoD), I just became satisfied play random indie games were developers are not afraid to explore new ideas.

I even stopped playing L4D2 with some friends, because they refuse to use Steam's Workshop for community maps, instead preferring to grab them on some random website with slow downloads and manually unzipping and putting files on a folder. Life is too short for that kind of shenanigan, for just one match, when you can do the same with one click.
                I call shenanigans on that unless you're talking about roms and emulation.

Comment

I would understand your mentality if you were a typical Windows user, but let's face it: we here aren't Linux users because we demand things that work with no fuss. We're used to tinkering with things and spending a little extra time to get a better/preferred experience. Downloading a few MB to remove a DRM (which, BTW, many people do even if the game already worked) is arguably easier than trying to get Steam itself working on a distro that isn't Ubuntu. If you pay attention to what it is you're downloading, you won't get malware from what you download. So far, I've had no bad luck with malware. And even if I have and don't know it, each game has its own separate Proton prefix where the malware has no personal data to collect.
                  But...
                  I share pretty much everything else you said. I think the last AAA title I bought was in 2016, and I opt for stuff that is either Linux-native, or, is gold/platinum rated in Proton. I too like indie games, because they have to explore new ideas in order to stand out. Haha indie games also allow me to use a crappier PC for much longer. My gaming PC's specs are mediocre even by 2017 standards, but it still holds up.
                  I agree with that, though I find that to be a bit different. I personally am willing to spend an extra 10 minutes just once to get a game working properly on Linux, but, if something slows down my ability to play the game every time I want to play it, that would irritate me enough to just not bother.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I call shenanigans on that unless you're talking about roms and emulation.
                  I think he meant 2TB.

Comment

It is a 2TB HDD, sorry about that.
                    Last edited by M@GOid; 31 July 2019, 10:10 AM. Reason: My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I would understand your mentality if you were a typical Windows user, but let's face it: we here aren't Linux users because we demand things that work with no fuss. We're used to tinkering with things and spending a little extra time to get a better/preferred experience. .
                      You want the truth? Today I use Linux (Kubuntu, to be precise) exactly because things work with no fuss. I can have the system exactly the way I like, installed from scratch, all packages updated, manually tweaking a thing or two, in about half a hour. I do maintenance on Windows machines at work and I don't need that headache when I'm at home.

If you think about it, it's amazing the state of Linux on the desktop we have today. You install a distro with your selected hardware and boom, everything works out of the box, no fuss, and if you keep your /home intact, not even interface tweaks or internet services logins, just install all additional programs I need with only one single terminal command, and I good to go. The actual state of AMD drivers are so good that I don't even need to upgrade from the default driver to play any game in my Steam library.

Comment

Working...
                      X