Khronos Officially Releases OpenXR 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I'm (also) saying that to get that level of contextual awareness you and others cite, you would need stupendous or even outright magic levels of sensor equipment and data-processing working on the background, which I don't see coming in the near future (decades).
    I might respect your opinion, if you had any real experience developing or using the latest AR tech.

I don't want to know the amount of false positives this system gives. In a natural environment there are tons of "subtle changes" every day due to random events and animals.
    If a clump of bushes suddenly appeared that wasn't there on the last patrol, that might be noteworthy. It's just an idea, but within the realm of plausibility.

This is a very dangerous double-sided blade. You need to be relaying information about airstrikes and friendly unit position all over the damn place.
    I thought about this, but battlefield communications systems always have this problem, so you've got to have secure end-to-end comms no matter what. One opportunity you have with AR is the ability to get a good, close look at the iris (or even retina) of the wearer. This can be used for biometric security, in ways that even radio cannot.

Their commander (for any number of people, even a single squad) cannot handle so much data alone.
    What's funny is that you only see this adding to the amount of data, rather than as a preprocessor to help fuse and filter data, so that the information that's presented is relevant, important, and easily digestible.

This can be at best sent to analysts for post-processing, a large team of people looking at different angles of each person's 3D feed in realtime, or you need some serious AI program to deal with it and provide useful info in real time.
    I imagine the data from the feeds being integrated into a unified battlefield map - not that the commander would dive into the 3D feed of a single soldier, though he could.

Comment

Just to give some nicer voice in this incel mess..

I've been waiting for OpenXR 1.0 release for a long time now and I'm pleased that it is finally here. I'll definitely start work on supporting VR using OpenXR in my engine and start doing applications using it.

I own a Vive and I love it, it looks very dev'y with all of those lighthouse sensor pointing everywhere, works well with glasses and has a decent screen. It's good for gaming, exercise (Beat Saber gets you really sweaty) and media consumption (watching movies in Bigscreen with a friend is really great).

Comment

Working...
      X