America's Army 3.0 "May Return" To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Did you ever consider the alternative of what could happen with steam being ported? It could just as easily go the other way where they thought there might be a potential profitable market but it turns out there is not. Resulting in more real life numbers showing that there is no profit in linux gaming. PTC for example thought there would be great potential in supporting linux Pro/E only to find that it wasn't profitable at all. PTC didn't give just a half assed attempt either in the end they wound up killing the linux Pro/E because it simply wasn't profitable despite being a big ticket item. In a day and age where technology and development houses are laying off in mass your probably going to see dwindling linux support as companies try to make it through the tough times. As a business person would you sink a ton of money into a marketshare that makes up a very small percentage or are you going to use that capitol to develop for a much larger audience?
    There is also market saturation to consider. As tough times start to come you need to look for ways gain a advantage over your competitors, and increasing market share, even by a small percentage means alot. Even if your return is small from that market, thats a return your competitors don't have.

Also, I don't see what's the Problem with AA, its a well thought out, professionally made game for free that happens to have some in-game ads that lead to the Army's Website. As long as you don't follow those links what difference does it make to you? If the game were funded by ad reveanue from Google, the same in-game ads would never be called "propaganda".
    Last edited by Milyardo; 07 January 2009, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Because I'm a gamer with "moral". I don't think games are allowed to be misused for every kind of "trash"... especially if highly ethically questionably. Games are not just an entertainment or recruiting media they have a much higher potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Because I'm a gamer with "moral". I don't think games are allowed to be misused for every kind of "trash"... especially if highly ethically questionably. Games are not just an entertainment or recruiting media they have a much higher potential.
        Different people have different ethics. What is "morally wrong" to one group is perfectly acceptable to another. If you were to remove every game from the market that some group found "morally" wrong you would be left to next to nothing. Even games such as solitaire can be viewed as "morally wrong" to certain groups (ie: encourages gambling). AA is certainly no worse then any other movie or tv show that features the military (many of which have to be approved content by the military before their assets can be using for filming). At least AA is more or less up front who is sponsoring it, and it's up to the individual if they want to play it just like any other game out there. It's not like you have to complete the next level of AA to check your email or they use it in such a way where you complete a level and the next thing you know there is a recruiter standing on your doorstep saying "Congrats, you have been drafted to save the world" like in the movie The Last Starfighter.

When it comes to morals and ethics it's ultimately the individual that makes that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Milyardo View Post
          There is also market saturation to consider. As tough times start to come you need to look for ways gain a advantage over your competitors, and increasing market share, even by a small percentage means alot. Even if your return is small from that market, thats a return your competitors don't have.
          You can have 100% marketshare dominance but if you are not making any money at it your no better off. Companies have one and only one responsibity and that is to generate profit for the investors. On any given day a poor selling game on Windows will return more revenue then one on linux. Linux simply does not have the desktop adoption percentage that makes it profitable for big production houses.

Netbooks have been an excellent "thermometer" as to the publics willingness to adopt linux. Facts are that linux based netbooks even though they were the first on the scene have seen their marketshare drop from 100% to <10%. Linux netbooks also enjoy a much higher return rate, not because of hardware failures but because of their OS. More and more companies are offering netbooks nowdays but many of those don't even offer linux as a option now. Given the rate of linux netbooks declining numbers, it is not unreasonable to expect that as time goes on that their percentages will fall to what it's currently at with desktops and notebooks within a fairly short time period.

Comment

Different people have different ethics. What is "morally wrong" to one group is perfectly acceptable to another. If you were to remove every game from the market that some group found "morally" wrong you would be left to next to nothing. Even games such as solitaire can be viewed as "morally wrong" to certain groups (ie: encourages gambling). AA is certainly no worse then any other movie or tv show that features the military (many of which have to be approved content by the military before their assets can be using for filming). At least AA is more or less up front who is sponsoring it, and it's up to the individual if they want to play it just like any other game out there. It's not like you have to complete the next level of AA to check your email or they use it in such a way where you complete a level and the next thing you know there is a recruiter standing on your doorstep saying "Congrats, you have been drafted to save the world" like in the movie The Last Starfighter.

When it comes to morals and ethics it's ultimately the individual that makes that decision.
            Sure moral can be discussed about and certain topics are heavily influenced by culture but simply declaring a media as "free wild" where anything can be done without the right to question it is wrong... and AA represents AA as the name implies and looking at all the crap that happened in the recent years it's more than right to question this.

Comment

Sure moral can be discussed about and certain topics are heavily influenced by culture but simply declaring a media as "free wild" where anything can be done without the right to question it is wrong... and AA represents AA as the name implies and looking at all the crap that happened in the recent years it's more than right to question this.
              What's to be questioned? It's no worse then any other war game.

Comment

Of course ! Glad to see someone thinking that too!

Comment

What's to be questioned? It's no worse then any other war game.
                  There's a little distinction here. If a game is based on a real world war ( historical ) or tries to glorify an army which is highly questionable ( including the country itself ) then it is in my opinion ethically questionable and as wrong as the movies doing the same. If you have a little insight in how movie and games are entangled in America with the military then the game or movie itself is questionable.

Which brings me to the other side. Is a war itself in a game always bad? No, it's not. Games have a special ability which places them apart from movies or books and this is interactivity. In a book you can be social critical and portray the world and the people placing a mirror in front of their noses ( although some fail to even recognize that they see themselves portrayed ). You can give people something to think about which goes beyond shallow literature. Now in games we have the powerful tool of interaction. The player can not only witness and follow a story he can actively influence it. You can therefore not only provide a social critical context but you can also allow players to examine these from different point of views, different factions, different solutions to counter the problems. So a fictional war can be used to treat a real world topic and make people think a bit. The main problem here is that games grew out of the entertainment sector and somehow does not manage to get rid of this image as being just a toy to pass time.

I don't say every game has to have such a depth. Sometimes it is nice to have a simplistic game to just pass some time but there is space for more... this is where games can evolve to ( as we are fucking stuck nowadays in a more-graphics-more-physics rush pushing out the same crap over and over again ).

Comment

There's a little distinction here. If a game is based on a real world war ( historical ) or tries to glorify an army which is highly questionable ( including the country itself ) then it is in my opinion ethically questionable and as wrong as the movies doing the same.
                    Which is exactly my point. As with any game that places you in a situation where real-life situations exist your always going to have differing point of views. The only real exception to this would be to set the game in a complete fantasy setting but even then you would have moral objectors saying screaming that it's a perfect example as to why society is not ready if the day ever comes to interact with a new alien race. There is two sides to every conflict and each side will glorify it's own POV. Neither of them really being more correct then the other.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: America's Army 3.0 "May Return" To Linux

Back in September we talked about the possibility of America's Army returning to Linux with the 3.0 release. One of the America's Army developers mentioned that it's a possibility and there may be a way to get the client restored and updated on Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njk3Mg
                      I'm not sure what the issue is here. I did the d/l of the Linux .bin file, it works. I'm not really a gamer. I don't even have a game pad.

I'm an avid Linux user and keep trying things out.

I'd like to see America's Army as a .rpm source so that I get the up-dates.

Comment

Working...
                      X