The Latest Linux Kernel Appears To Be Causing Connectivity Issues For Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaxad0127

Maybe the user space shouldnt be allowed to directly touch network anymore. Instead of application -> kernel -> hardware, more like application --(limited defined commands)--> networking control application (does bulk of preparing data for networking) --(limited security hardened commands)--> kernel --> hardware.

That way applications dont touch the hardware or kernel directly and future security and kernel bugs can be more eadily tested for. The kernel group cant test every application that uses networking, but it can test if changes effected the one networking control application.

Comment

I am on Manjaro - unstable repo and I have this issue, launching steam with -tcp works fine!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Me either (Manjaro Plasma)

Code:
        uname -r
        5.1.12-22-tkg-bmq
        Me neither (Solus Plasma].

Code:
        5.1.12-120.current

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post
          I am on Manjaro - unstable repo and I have this issue, launching steam with -tcp works fine!
          Using the Manjaro stable repos and a different kernel from TK-Glitch myself. Just thought I'd post my differences since it's working fine for me.

Edit: Should add that I'm using the steam-native package but not the linux-steam-integration package.
          Last edited by skeevy420; 21 June 2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Not affected on my desktop with Debian unstable and mainline kernel 5.1.7, but I just installed Steam on an old laptop with Ubuntu 19.04 and kernel 5.0.0-17 and was hit with this bug on that machine.

Comment

Saying anything about keeping userspace and kernel separate from this shows you Kno about nothing about what you're talking about.

If the bug in kernel is just a general bug, no shit userspace stuff won't work. Doesn't mean there's a flaw in their design, as stuff from years ago runs today, which is the entire point behind it.

Comment

Running stock ubuntu 18.04 and having big steam connection issues atm

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  Running stock ubuntu 18.04 and having big steam connection issues atm
                  What kind of issues? 18.04 based kde neon here and everything works just fine. I have only issues with damn slow download speeds, but disabling ipv6 have always sorted that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

What kind of issues? 18.04 based kde neon here and everything works just fine. I have only issues with damn slow download speeds, but disabling ipv6 have always sorted that problem.
                    I have to try and open steam like 10x before it opens. I get unable to connect errors the whole time.
                    It started a few days ago. Was working perfectly before.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Me either (Manjaro Plasma)

Code:
                      uname -r
                      5.1.12-22-tkg-bmq
                      Same here. Arch. No problem at all.

Code:
                      uname -a
                      Linux dragon 5.1.12-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 19 09:16:00 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X