DXVK 1.2.2 Brings Minor CPU Overhead Optimizations, Game Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    are there any alternatives to wine? or wine is the only software to run windows apps?
    There's Crossover and Proton but both are basically Wine. Then there's ReactOS but that shares code with Wine, too, so the only real other Wine-free software is Microsoft Windows.

Comment

are there any alternatives to wine? or wine is the only software to run windows apps?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) and https://alternativeto.net/software/wine/ if you look deep enough they are all using wine project code.

Wine is not the only software to run windows apps but if the wine project stops every software that is running windows software without windows license will be majorly harmed.

To be correct you basically have two options on Linux if you don't want to pay a windows license.
      1) Wine project with or without a GUI front-end.
      2) Reactos in a VM and Reactos is not very complete.

Wine project with a GUI front end covers thing like valve proton., playforlinux, Q4wine, WinOnX....

Reactos in a VM is still using parts from the wine project but the core bit that load the exe into memory and the like is totally different to the wine project.

The other option is buy a windows license and run windows in a VM.

This is why codeweavers interests to get money cannot really be ignored they fund the core of the wine project. For codeweavers to meet their customer demands for the next 10 years at least they have to maintain opengl support even if it poor performing.

No wine project dxvk on Linux and OS X would basically be useless. There is a massive amount of developer hours required to being as functional as the core wine project is.

Comment

crossover and proton are wine.
        reactos has a very long way to go.
        so wine is the only "emulator". no wonder they think so high of themselfs.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) and https://alternativeto.net/software/wine/ if you look deep enough they are all using wine project code.

Wine is not the only software to run windows apps but if the wine project stops every software that is running windows software without windows license will be majorly harmed.

To be correct you basically have two options on Linux if you don't want to pay a windows license.
          1) Wine project with or without a GUI front-end.
          2) Reactos in a VM and Reactos is not very complete.

Wine project with a GUI front end covers thing like valve proton., playforlinux, Q4wine, WinOnX....

Reactos in a VM is still using parts from the wine project but the core bit that load the exe into memory and the like is totally different to the wine project.

The other option is buy a windows license and run windows in a VM.

This is why codeweavers interests to get money cannot really be ignored they fund the core of the wine project. For codeweavers to meet their customer demands for the next 10 years at least they have to maintain opengl support even if it poor performing.

No wine project dxvk on Linux and OS X would basically be useless. There is a massive amount of developer hours required to being as functional as the core wine project is.
          If I could support core wine with money, I would certainly do that, but I will not do this for WineD3D and low performing legacy platforms.

Comment

1/2 OT

I hope Haswell will be finally usable again with DXVK.

There was some new stuff posted to the bug tracker that seem to help,
            but I fear it lacks progress to get it merged.

Comment

crossover and proton are wine.
              reactos has a very long way to go.
              so wine is the only "emulator". no wonder they think so high of themselfs.
              Also being the only means you have to be more critical about funding.

crossover and proton are wine is more correct than what you think.
              Wine project is mostly funded by codeweavers.
              Crossover is codeweavers product.
              Proton is a joint valve and codeweavers project.

So yes codeweavers gets funding from usage of Crossover or Proton.

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              If I could support core wine with money, I would certainly do that, but I will not do this for WineD3D and low performing legacy platforms.
              Opengl support is not just for legacy platforms. Its simple to forgot current day Android platforms only have opengl

Sorry Codeweavers has a broader platform target than you yes it include android devices. If you buy steam games from Valve you are giving money to codeweavers due to joint development work between Codeweavers and Valve.

Codeweavers is not that high on themselves. They are kind of smart about funding. Do remember it was codeweavers that decided to go after dx12 support to vulkan first because no one else was working on that. So why codeweavers does stuff at particular times more often than not aligned to who is paying them.

Comment

Brisse, i very much recommend the witcher 3 with steam play. At least for me it works flawlessly, alt tabbing works well etc. A radeon 570 is enough for nice graphics settings on 2560*1440 resolution. I was very positively surprised.

Comment

You can run Windows in a VM. But I recommend seamless mode that way you can run the VM hidden in the background (headless) and just launch Windows applications in the background with Linux .desktop shortcuts. No need to purchase the Windows license as it will run in an inactivated state. I use this solution to run Windows Store UWP apps or apps broken in Wine now and then.

Comment

Opengl support is not just for legacy platforms. Its simple to forgot current day Android platforms only have opengl

Sorry Codeweavers has a broader platform target than you yes it include android devices. If you buy steam games from Valve you are giving money to codeweavers due to joint development work between Codeweavers and Valve.

Codeweavers is not that high on themselves. They are kind of smart about funding. Do remember it was codeweavers that decided to go after dx12 support to vulkan first because no one else was working on that. So why codeweavers does stuff at particular times more often than not aligned to who is paying them.

Flagship Android phones and tablets from the last few years have Vulkan support. I believe Intel Chromebooks with Android app support also have Vulkan enabled too.

The biggest market for Codeweavers is macOS but that will become very troublesome when they remove both 32-bit and OpenGL support from the platform. In that sense. In that sense it makes sense for Codeweavers to try to make their own Vulkan renderer for DX9,10, 11, and 12 and leverage MoltenVK.

Comment

Also being the only means you have to be more critical about funding.

crossover and proton are wine is more correct than what you think.
                      Wine project is mostly funded by codeweavers.
                      Crossover is codeweavers product.
                      Proton is a joint valve and codeweavers project.

So yes codeweavers gets funding from usage of Crossover or Proton.

Last time I checked my phone worked fine with Vulkan (but I don't need Wine there), VKD3D is still not ready (but luckily we are not depending from this for games so far) and if codeweavers got some money from Valve because I bought a game than this is more than justified, I just said I wouldn't support Wine directly as long as this is heavily invested in legacy platforms.

Comment

Working...
                      X