No announcement yet.

WineD3D Optimistic In Their Yet To Be Proven Vulkan Backend, DXVK "Dead End"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WineD3D Optimistic In Their Yet To Be Proven Vulkan Backend, DXVK "Dead End"

Phoronix: WineD3D Optimistic In Their Yet To Be Proven Vulkan Backend, DXVK "Dead End"

For the past months we've been aware of CodeWeavers/Wine developers exploring a possible Vulkan back-end to WineD3D as an alternative to their long-standing approach of taking Direct3D calls and mapping it to OpenGL. This WineD3D Vulkan back-end would be akin to DXVK, VK9, D9VK, and others of ultimately using Vulkan to accelerate an alternative API. While the code has just been started, it appears the upstream Wine developers believe in their approach...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not again...

Comment

Whether DXVK is a dead-end or not, it's a probably a good thing in the long-run for there to be more than 1 serious FOSS implementations of Direct3D->Vulkan translation.

Comment

"The short version is that Wine's own Vulkan D3D backend should make DXVK superfluous in the long term."

I'd rather say that this WineD3D Vulkan thing is superfluous already. DXVK works very well and I don't understand why would you call it a dead end.

Comment

Dead end or not, with that pace of development any theoreitcal benefits of Wined3d over Vulkan won't matter still for many years, vs DXVK working already now. So practice beats theorizing here by a huge margin.
          Last edited by shmerl; 07 June 2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I still don't get it from the link in the article.
            What's the reason Wine refuses to integrate/merge DXVK?

Because Philip has not responded to mails?
            From what I read this guy is extremely polite.
            Has this been sorted out?

Comment

It's only a dead-end because he insists it should be...

Comment

I asked Joshua Ashton, developer of d9vk (which uses DXVK as a backend) about his opinion on damavond (this new vulkan backend in wined3d), and I think it'd be good for you all to see this perspective.

Comment

A typical NIH syndrome so well known among open source projects.

Meanwhile Wine's D3D11 implemention sucks ass. They will spend literally years trying to reach feature/speed parity with DXVK and by that time it'll fully support D3D12.

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
                    Whether DXVK is a dead-end or not, it's a probably a good thing in the long-run for there to be more than 1 serious FOSS implementations of Direct3D->Vulkan translation.
                    Wrong on so many levels.

1. There will be twice as many bugs
                    2. It's a Herculean task, so instead of advancing one project at a decent speed, will have two projects advancing a lot slower
                    3. Optimizations which could benefit a single project will be spread out and both projects will provide a suboptimal performance
                    4. DXVK being incorporated would have benefitted from the expertise of the core wine developers who know how to extract the most performance

This exact situation is a tragedy and a simply a clash of egos - as far as I can see only on the side of the wine project: they can't admit they've spent so much resources on an implementation which has been rendered mostly useless and which is a whole LOT harder to develop.

OpenGL was never meant to be a substitute for D3D while Vulkan allows to implement higher level APIs a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                    X