Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 4.2-6 Brings DXVK 1.2.1 Rebuild, Updated FAudio, Other Fixes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proton 4.2-6 Brings DXVK 1.2.1 Rebuild, Updated FAudio, Other Fixes

    Phoronix: Proton 4.2-6 Brings DXVK 1.2.1 Rebuild, Updated FAudio, Other Fixes

    The folks maintaining Proton as Valve's flavor of Wine for use by Steam Play for running Windows games on Linux just released Proton 4.2-6...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2-6-Steam-Play

  • #2
    Holding out for all those anti-cheat compat solutions(Battleye, EAC), and maybe some better Mono support so certain games don't need dotnet472 installed all the time (something the user must do independently).

    There is also the case for broken Script Extender 64bit support in Bethesda titles. (you gotta do the tiniest patch yourself, a pain in the butt)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Holding out for all those anti-cheat compat solutions(Battleye, EAC), and maybe some better Mono support so certain games don't need dotnet472 installed all the time (something the user must do independently).

      There is also the case for broken Script Extender 64bit support in Bethesda titles. (you gotta do the tiniest patch yourself, a pain in the butt)
      I think I've heard at least a couple wine devs themselves say certain types of DRM might never work and Battleye and EAC seem to be the prime examples. I've played games with denuvo on Steam and they work, AAA games with Ubisoft, Origin, Bethesda launchers do also work on wine/proton. It's up to the game publishers to stop using DRM like Battleye and EAC, and we shouldn't expect wine to work if Battleye is explicitly forbidding the game from running on Linux. PubG and the like might as well be Switch-only games, it doesn't matter if they never work on Linux, because they likely never will.

      Mono support has gotten a lot better and that hopefully will continue.
      Last edited by audir8; 06-07-2019, 01:59 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Cool!

        Not related to this update, but . . . I'm considering picking up Subnautica for use on Proton before its current sale ends. It'll be the first time I stoop so low as to get something with a "silver" rating on ProtonDB, but it sounds like there's really just one mouse problem that can be worked around by running in a borderless window. And busted (laggy) controller support maybe. Not a huge deal for me. Anyone here have experience with that?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by toojays View Post
          Cool!

          Not related to this update, but . . . I'm considering picking up Subnautica for use on Proton before its current sale ends. It'll be the first time I stoop so low as to get something with a "silver" rating on ProtonDB, but it sounds like there's really just one mouse problem that can be worked around by running in a borderless window. And busted (laggy) controller support maybe. Not a huge deal for me. Anyone here have experience with that?
          I ran Subnautica (all the way through) using Lutris + Epic Games Store - it worked well, but definitely fewer FPS than windows (and longer loading times, but that might be because I am riding mesa git and the shader cache keeps getting blown away)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by audir8 View Post

            I think I've heard at least a couple wine devs themselves say certain types of DRM might never work and Battleye and EAC seem to be the prime examples. I've played games with denuvo on Steam and they work, AAA games with Ubisoft, Origin, Bethesda launchers do also work on wine/proton. It's up to the game publishers to stop using DRM like Battleye and EAC, and we shouldn't expect wine to work if Battleye is explicitly forbidding the game from running on Linux. PubG and the like might as well be Switch-only games, it doesn't matter if they never work on Linux, because they likely never will.

            Mono support has gotten a lot better and that hopefully will continue.
            Proton needs to integrate with hacker group databases and automatically hack games that require DRM to run without

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm pretty happy with proton so far. The only thing I (currently) miss is proper UPlay support. The overlay is not working and with it the multiplayer functionality. For playing Far Cry New Dawn in Coop I need Windows, while it otherwise runs fine on Proton.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by carewolf View Post

                Proton needs to integrate with hacker group databases and automatically hack games that require DRM to run without
                Great idea, can't wait for all games to get pulled from Steam and for Valve to face a lawsuit.

                Originally posted by audir8 View Post

                I think I've heard at least a couple wine devs themselves say certain types of DRM might never work and Battleye and EAC seem to be the prime examples. I've played games with denuvo on Steam and they work, AAA games with Ubisoft, Origin, Bethesda launchers do also work on wine/proton. It's up to the game publishers to stop using DRM like Battleye and EAC, and we shouldn't expect wine to work if Battleye is explicitly forbidding the game from running on Linux. PubG and the like might as well be Switch-only games, it doesn't matter if they never work on Linux, because they likely never will.

                Mono support has gotten a lot better and that hopefully will continue.
                BattleEye and EAC aren't DRM. They ensure the game is running in a trusted and unmodified environment. Given that Wine is very much a sandbox, that is very hard to do. e.g. Windows, the D3D drivers are usually signed, an anti-cheat can verify they're not tampered.

                In comparison, DXVK is not signed or verifiable, so there's nothing stopping you right now from modifying DXVK to mishandle shaders or bitmaps to get a wall-hack. These anti-cheats also need to verify everything else, including the kernel isn't tampering with the game. I've heard reports that this is already happening.

                If Linux desktops become the platforms known for cheating then all the work done by DXVK and Proton is for nothing.
                Last edited by Britoid; 06-07-2019, 05:25 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What’s the latest word on windows versus proton benchmarking? Michael’s been mentioning it every now & then for ar least all of this year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I love Valve for this!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X