Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Stadia's E3 Event Reveals New Details For This Linux+Vulkan Gaming Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
    Regulators should be up in Google's business if they use the word 'buy' to describe a transaction in which the user never actually possesses the thing they supposedly 'bought'.
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Nope. Only stream service providers can legally buy games. Consumers like you can only rent access to them.

Or at least this will be the case in the year 2030. Enjoy
    Long, but well researched video on "games as a service", and why it's fraud. Not specifically targeted towards streamed games, but looking at how Google is planning to sell games on Stadia, it looks like Stadia falls into the "games as a service" category and is therefore a fraud.

As FLOSS advocates (I assume, since this is Phoronix), I think you will agree with what is said in the video if you have the patience to watch the entire thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
      With how powerful sub-$300 systems are getting, the justifications for game-streaming services like Stadia get looser everyday. The pessimist in me says that this is a thinly-veiled attempt at getting people to buy games without allowing them to exert normal property rights over their copies.
      Considering that you'll be able to play games on your smartphone, and you don't need a computer, it might seel on the sheer convenience of it.

Comment

I don't see this really appealing to that many people but I hope it results in some upstream linux patches for those of us who like to actually own our games.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

If you're going to be living on campus, it's almost a certainty such a service is going to be against the campus network terms of service and likely to be blocked. The reason being even 10 mb/s let alone 35 mb/s per room in constant use quickly adds up when you have thousands of rooms, even if only a fraction of them are using such a service. Campus networks are shared between all users. While the internal network may remain uncongested, the link to the outside world can quickly become so. Be prepared to pay for your own ISP connection if you want luxuries services like Netflix and Stadia.

Back in the early days of the Internet, the university I attended ended up having to block streaming audio because those actually needing the external gateway couldn't get work done for all the students and administration trying out the new & shiny streaming Shoutcast sites. Seems quaint now, but there's always some new bandwidth hog that needs to be blocked or throttled on such communal networks so people can actually get work done.
          You can be almost certain that for big campuses with thousands of students fitting the target demographic perfectly, Google would be more than happy to put a Stadia relay node on the internal intranet. Now whether or not universities would be happy tempting their students away from studying, however, is another matter......

Comment

Can somebody please shed some light on how Stadia actually works?

Is it just a streaming client that somehow get the encoded framebuffer and display it or is it kind of a mixture that partly renders on the client?
            I remember I read something about the latter, but I doubt it.

Comment

Downloading dozens of gigabytes each time I play the same game? Sometimes I feel like the silicon valley never heard about climate change. We need to build new services and improve the hardware to actually **reduce** the power consumption, not square it!

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

You can be almost certain that for big campuses with thousands of students fitting the target demographic perfectly, Google would be more than happy to put a Stadia relay node on the internal intranet. Now whether or not universities would be happy tempting their students away from studying, however, is another matter......
                My alma mater systematically chased and punished bandwith hogs, for example. On most of my university networks networked multiplayer games are forbidden. A buddy of mine thought he would be famous by hosting a DivX downloading site back in the days. He was busted and fired from his network admin job. Not for piracy concerns but because he ended up eating 10% of the whole university bandwith !

Besides, in the student accommodations i happened to know well, the internet was rather poor. A single connexion shared trough ethernet by 10 students. Very cheap though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

This is what I fear the most with game streaming, one day we might end up with not owning any games, only renting the service to play them. Gamers need to support developers who don't offer streaming only games and services like GOG where you truly own what you buy. I am not against game streaming, but we should be very careful it does not dominate the market, it offers whole lot of advantages for people who can't afford powerful gaming computers to run games at 1080p or 4K at Ultra settings and 60 fps, especially for laptop owners where gaming laptops can be very very expensive, but gamers need to be careful because if some developers go cloud only, those should be immediately boycotted.
                  This is the future of everything. Not even just digital "goods" but things like cars. Once self-driving cars become mandatory, people will not own cars but only rent/lease them. Of course the cars will refuse to go to restricted zones etc.

Same for computers themselves. People will be given cheapo terminals and everything will be "cloud" and not owned. Even the terminal will probably be only rented, same as the car. I suspect this will be the full and only reality ~40 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    this will so suck for most people, even our office 500/50 mbit cable internet has hiccups and is not super amazing for youtube up-streaming, ...
                    Have you checked your latency? Network speed is not the only important factor, especially for streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

This is what I fear the most with game streaming, one day we might end up with not owning any games, only renting the service to play them. Gamers need to support developers who don't offer streaming only games and services like GOG where you truly own what you buy. I am not against game streaming, but we should be very careful it does not dominate the market, it offers whole lot of advantages for people who can't afford powerful gaming computers to run games at 1080p or 4K at Ultra settings and 60 fps, especially for laptop owners where gaming laptops can be very very expensive, but gamers need to be careful because if some developers go cloud only, those should be immediately boycotted.
                      Since you are not allowed to resell your GOG games, you don't truly own them either. It's not as bad but still...

Comment

Working...
                      X