Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Stadia's E3 Event Reveals New Details For This Linux+Vulkan Gaming Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not interested in using Stadia. If I'm were to pay for cloud gaming, I'd want to be to play all the current games, which is what Windows-based Shadow offers. I'm hopeful that this might bring a few more big-budget native games to Steam on Linux, since the major porting work would already be done.

Comment

stormcrow Well I believe UPenn has the resources to provide such a luxury to its students--at least I hope so! I know students are able to stream using Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc. so I doubt they would block Stadia. It is something I'll test out when it becomes available.

Comment

Regulators should be up in Google's business if they use the word 'buy' to describe a transaction in which the user never actually possesses the thing they supposedly 'bought'. Even Microsoft's shitty 'Software as a Service' Office 365 actually resides on the customer's computer and can be used locally. Other than that, I don't see anything illegal about it. Stupid in many cases, evil, and of ill-intent, but not illegal.

If Google wanted to un-screw this, they would need to provide access to a standalone PC download/client for every game actually purchased (not rented). We know those builds exist. Not every Stadia user will have the hardware to run the games locally, of course, but that wouldn't be Google's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Well, if I can "buy" the game, then I should theoretically be able to download the game and run it on my own Linux machine.
          Nope. Only stream service providers can legally buy games. Consumers like you can only rent access to them.

Or at least this will be the case in the year 2030. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
            Why do you think that it will not be possible for modders to upload their creations to a cloud gaming platform?
            Because most of mod-heavy games depend on ability to patch original executable one way or another. Another reason is that games that not require such patching and have poweful API for mods will always be danger for security of said cloud gaming platform.

Comment

this will so suck for most people, even our office 500/50 mbit cable internet has hiccups and is not super amazing for youtube up-streaming, ...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Nope. Only stream service providers can legally buy games. Consumers like you can only rent access to them.

Or at least this will be the case in the year 2030. Enjoy
                This is what I fear the most with game streaming, one day we might end up with not owning any games, only renting the service to play them. Gamers need to support developers who don't offer streaming only games and services like GOG where you truly own what you buy. I am not against game streaming, but we should be very careful it does not dominate the market, it offers whole lot of advantages for people who can't afford powerful gaming computers to run games at 1080p or 4K at Ultra settings and 60 fps, especially for laptop owners where gaming laptops can be very very expensive, but gamers need to be careful because if some developers go cloud only, those should be immediately boycotted.

Comment

I do not want Google to take over gaming.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Stadia Founder's Edition will include a Chromcast Ultra, a

Comment

Originally posted by mumar1 View Post

I´m quiet sure the games will depend on googles drivers, I don´t expect them to work with the standard Radeon VULKAN drivers
                      There's no point in making drivers again so it will probably use either Mesa's RADV or AMDVLK. The piece of software they are using to """lock""" games to the platform is the Stadia SDK, which according to Google "(...) provides robust APIs for managing games, like saves, multiplayer modes, suspend/resume gameplay and more". So it's basically an equivalent to Steamworks that probably has additional functions related to remote input, not something you couldn't replace.

The service looks like shit, and it's only available in 14 countries initially so it just leaves me wondering if it's gonna sell even less than a normal Linux version. Of course, that won't matter to devs if Google happens to be paying them to put their games on their platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X