Steam's Linux Marketshare Ticks Up Ever So Slightly For May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    The IBM-Microsoft-Nvidia partnership does everything to prevent the Linux gaming success.
    debianxfce - of those reporting posts and complaining about abusive behavior / ranting, you are currently number one on that list of people complaining about forum content. You are officially warned and kindly asked to refrain from instigating / abusive forum posts otherwise bans / ignores, etc, may be in place.

@Micheal,
    can you please do something?
    anyone can do some shit posting/talking sometimes but this is pure/heavy/systematic trolling at the expense of the community.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Heh. Got my first survey in a year 12 hours ago...which was 2nd survey since 2013...
      Yeah, they sure take their sweet time giving everyone a chance to fill out the survey. Been a Steam member since 2013 and they only picked me once, in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Yes, the point is that even with SteamPlay, it's a little bit more involved than clicking install and playing the game, so the user friendliness isn't there. I guess the only safe assumption to make is that average users are brain dead, and anything more involved than that is too much.
        I don't think the average gamer is an average user. The majority of gamers using Steam, Epic Store, etc. are quite skilled, actually. That said, they should enable SteamPlay by default (with the option of turning it off).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          I don't know how many times you have linked to this list... but to be honest this point is clearly wrong:

• If you think I'm here to promote Windows or Mac OS, please close this page.
          Yes, you are here to promote Windows.

Also, this one makes no sense at all:

Wayland works through rasterization of pixels which brings about two very bad critical problems which will never be solved

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Is there an official statement how Steam Survey counts Windows games played under Proton in Linux: as a Linux session, or as a Windows session?

Exists there reliable data showing how Steam Proton market share compares to market share of native Linux ports?
            That is only known to the publishers so there we have to wait until some of them releases such data if ever (and then we would only know the stats for that very publisher). That said there are official statements from Valve that playing with Proton will be recorded as a Linux sale and not a Windows sale.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I don't know how many times you have linked to this list... but to be honest this point is clearly wrong:

Yes, you are here to promote Windows.

Also, this one makes no sense at all:
              I've been posting this link for almost 10 years now - has anything changed since then? Not really. All the primary issues remain. Three bugs leading to catastrophic data loss for the past 12 months in the Linux kernel? That's for the worse, unfortunately.

Promote Windows? LOL. Have you actually been to this "bad" website? There's a nice article about Windows on it as well. Though not nearly as long and disparaging.

Makes no sense at all? You mean facts don't make sense to you? Well, that's not my problem - that's yours.

Try harder next time.

Comment

Wayland clients talk to the compositor and request a buffer. The compositor will hand them back a buffer that they can draw into, using OpenGL, cairo, or whatever. The compositor is at the discretion to do whatever it wants with that buffer – display it normally because it’s awesome, set it on fire because the application is being annoying, or spin it on a cube because we need more YouTube videos of Linux cube spinning.

Buffer is a 2D plane/array made of pixels.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Again a dozen of lame and stupid excuses as to why the Linux market share in gaming (and overall on the desktop) is non-existent and no one sees an elephant in the room: Linux as a desktop OS sucks ass. You just cannot expect people to move to an OS with so many wonderful features and quirks.

Say, you want to have something very simple akin to Windows file sharing in Linux. How would you do that? There are many other petty little things which might look insignificant but people depend their lives on them.
                  can you please join and troll another community?
                  nobody is forcing you to use the sucking ass OS and with every of your posts you are constantly annoying other forum users. This is a community for Linux enthusiasts and, believe of not, we all know that in some areas Linux might (still) "sucks" ass, we (as enthusiasts) don't care of simply get over it (many work for free to improve the status quo). I'm tired of feeding the (you) troll but if you're so frustrated just enjoy what you've got (Mac, Win, Whatever OS). Your constant whinging is not a contribution

Comment

And so the influx of delusional comments continues πŸ˜„

Comment

to 90% of you her:. Stop sniveling, you make us all look bad, and even worse, desperate. If its not clear now, it should be clear that Linux is not a gaming OS, and never will be. In fact it can't be. And if they made it into one, you'd fucking hate it because it'd just be the new windows.

The reason isn't technical. Linux on the GUI in 2019 is plenty powerful. It will do whatever windows 10 does, and sometimes more, but most people on this forums are missing out because they don't like using any of the Poettering tools, or the very inclusive full featured heavyweight desktops that intergrate things like filesharing through samba on FUSE.

Gamers and Games add nothing to Linux. Its very much a different mindset and if you talk to gamers and game developers you'd figure this out real quick. They care more about anti-cheat, than software Freedom. They don't have bug trackers, they have youtube channels where they make death threats. These people will not be contributing code back upstream and will not be filing bug reports.

Gamers don't like Linux because it doesn't "Just Work", doing any bit of real work is beneath them. They are the new Lowest Common Denominator, and the devs that cater to them extract every last cent they can get out of them, and see them as little more than marks. There is none of the community. There is none of the spirit. I for one am GLAD that the marketshare for linux games is under %1, and I hope it stays that way. Gamers will introduce nothing but headaches into this community and will give nothing back. They will not respect our values. On top of being stupid, and lazy, they also tend to be angry and wrathful, and love making threats and starting harassment campaigns. If we had problems now.

In addition, Gamers have a hard time parsing that computers exist outside of video games. Linux is already the go to OS on every other market segment besides desktops, but for some reason, they all think this is some peasant shit and we should be grateful for whatever craps they take on us. Fuck no.

As far as corporate support. We already have it server side. If we really wanted more support for Linux GUIs I suggest expanding into the corporate desktop which makes far more sense than games. Most of the target companies would already have Linux servers and would already be familiar. Given that GNOME and most of the desktop software is written by redhat, it would make sense to go for Red Hat desktops as well. Stop thinking about the GUI as "Linux Desktop" and start thinking of it more as a "Linux Workstation" which makes more sense considering its UNIX background.

"Year of the Linux Workstation" sounds better. We are smart people we cater to a higher clientele that appreciates a powerful OS, especially one that scales up pretty well, and targets audiences that would pay for professionals to maintain it with money they have doing highly skilled labor.

Linux workstations are for coders, hackers, programmers, engineers, artists and artisans, privacy advocates, enthusiasts, designers. This is a tool for do-ers and builders. Most of all its a tool for professionals who understand a fine tool needs a fine person who might take a minuet to learn how it works. Its not for gamers. Its not for consumers.

Perhaps after it catches on in the professional market someone might make a dumbed down version for the consumer(including gamer) masses.

Comment

Working...
                      X