Gaming Performance Only Faintly Touched By MDS / Zombie Load Mitigations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Performance Only Faintly Touched By MDS / Zombie Load Mitigations

Phoronix: Gaming Performance Only Faintly Touched By MDS / Zombie Load Mitigations

Yesterday I published some initial MDS/Zombieload mitigation impact benchmarks while coming out still later today is much more data looking at the CPU/system performance impact... But is the gaming performance impaired by this latest set of CPU side-channel vulnerabilities?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for clearing this up, Michael. Though I prefer performance improvements to regressions any day.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
      I think the article should have made it more clear that this is with HT on.
      To really mitigate ZombieLoad, you need HT off.

Although I speculate that for games, in most cases there will be little difference. But, for the sake of clarity and to provide non-confusing data, you always have to do a run with HT off, and to clearly note it in the article.

Well, in fact, it is also going to depend on number of CPU cores. If a game needs more than 2 cores, and the CPU cannot provide them, there might be some performance hits.
      From what I've seen, HT tends to improve performance in games that are designed to run on many threads, which pretty much boils down to modern stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
        I think the article should have made it more clear that this is with HT on.
        To really mitigate ZombieLoad, you need HT off.
        It seems pretty clear to me:

This comparison is just looking at the MDS mitigations with HT still enabled and the other Spectre/Meltdown/Foreshadow mitigations at their defaults.
        unless it was added later.

Comment

At least intel owners have that respite from performance degredation. Intel's gonna have a hard next couple of years if the rumor mill tea leaves are accurate. AMD ain't playing around with Zen 3. No more missteps, Intel. You are big, but you ain't that big.

Comment

mds zombie load and kernel is fictional by ibm mcdonalds to prevent linux desktop by slowing it down. i turn these off, devuan and xfce fast stable secure.

Comment

wait... because the first troll bot wasn't enough, somebody thought it is a good idea to come up with a second one? heh?

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                wait... because the first troll bot wasn't enough, somebody thought it is a good idea to come up with a second one? heh?
                With this invention, at least he could now quote himself to continue to speak with himself

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                  I mostly lurk on these forums, but I had to say this: The entity with 2 accounts you're referring to is not a bot. It's a sociopath.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgoblin View Post

I mostly lurk on these forums, but I had to say this: The entity with 2 accounts you're referring to is not a bot. It's a sociopath.
                    I am quite sure we can't tell if it's a sociopath or not. Although it's quite obvious it's not. The only clear characteristic is spreading and believing in some weirdo conspiracy. No idea what to make out of it.

(bad and failed) trolling is kind of the best description here as I don't see anything more suitable. And weather it's a bot or human I don't really care all that much. Kind of prefer it being a bot though as this would be less sad.

Comment

Working...
                    X