No announcement yet.

Over 100 Linux Gaming/Graphics Tests Looking At The Radeon RX 570 vs. GTX 1650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 100 Linux Gaming/Graphics Tests Looking At The Radeon RX 570 vs. GTX 1650

Phoronix: Over 100 Linux Gaming/Graphics Tests Looking At The Radeon RX 570 vs. GTX 1650

Complementing the recent comparison of Radeon RX 560/570/580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060/1650/1660 Linux Gaming Performance benchmarks, in this article are 102 Linux graphics tests (mostly games) looking more closely at the performance of the sub-$150 GeForce GTX 1650 and Radeon RX 570 graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Over 100 Linux Gaming/Graphics Tests Looking At The Radeon RX 570 vs. GTX 1650
    Of all the tests ran, the Radeon RX 570 won 73 of the tests (83%).
    Excuse me, but I cannot find way to 73 divided by more then 100 to became 0,83 or 83%
    I would like to be explained to teach me how this become possible.

Comment

Just a reminder that the GTX 1650 doesn't even require a 6pin power connector (which means it's limited to 75W) while the RX 570 consumes over 160W and over 200W when overclocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

Excuse me, but I cannot find way to 73 divided by more then 100 to became 0,83 or 83%
        I would like to be explained to teach me how this become possible.
        Easy. You exclude the non-gaming benchmarks. Then the number is smaller than 100. Just as Michael explained.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

Easy. You exclude the non-gaming benchmarks. Then the number is smaller than 100. Just as Michael explained.
          That may be the cause But I am blind to see explanation like
          of all gaming tests

instead of

Of all the tests ran,

Bu I did not to use complete link to tests

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Just a reminder that the GTX 1650 doesn't even require a 6pin power connector (which means it's limited to 75W) while the RX 570 consumes over 160W and over 200W when overclocked.
            I don't recall the power limit for Pcie.. but GTX1650 doesn't limit itself to 75Watts...
            NVidia markes cards like intel do with cpus.. the Reality is diferent..

Because GTX1650 should consume between 110 and 135 Watts or so..
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel uses the same scheme, and it looses reputation there..they mark their CPUs, for power consumption "almost in standby" ...the reality is another thing..

Nevertheless NVidia has nice cards,
            I own a GTX1060 6GB and in headless mode is consumes me 5 watts in standby, even pushing it up, its very efficient.

Cannot say the same about RX580, which is headless mode uses around 34 watts..
            Some users posted here saying that it consumes 6 watts of power if undervolted, but I couldn't find undervolt controls via sysfs..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

I don't recall the power limit for Pcie.. but GTX1650 doesn't limit itself to 75Watts...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-gtx1650&num=4

Intel uses the same scheme, and it looses reputation there..they mark their CPUs, for power consumption "almost in standby" ...the reality is another thing..

Nevertheless NVidia has nice cards,
              I own a GTX1060 6GB and in headless mode is consumes me 5 watts in standby, even pushing it up, its very efficient.

Cannot say the same about RX580, which is headless mode uses around 34 watts..
              Some users posted here saying that it consumes 6 watts of power if undervolted, but I couldn't find undervolt controls via sysfs..

This is my configuration file named "rx570". I use it as a systemd service and starts with the system:

Code:
              #!/bin/bash
              # Script to configure AMD Rx570

echo "s 7 1300 1020" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
              echo "s 6 1250 1000" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
              echo "s 5 1200 980" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
              echo "s 4 1150 960" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
              echo "s 3 1100 940" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
              echo "m 2 1800 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
              echo "c" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
              It is for the mini-itx version that is limited to 120w and it doesn't touch the first two power levels, so i can confirm 35w.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

You appear to have confused system power with graphics card power. The PCIe slot limit is 75W (or arguably closer to 66W?). The CPU, PSU, drives, RAM take power as well.

If you limit yourself to the best slot-powered cards from AMD, you're looking at the 560 or 460, and as shown here they cannot compete - even on the best tests for AMD, performance is a third lower, and on some later pages it barely manages a half:
                https://www.anandtech.com/show/14270...w-feat-zotac/5

If you don't care about power or heat, it's almost a no-brainer to go with the 570. It may be quieter too, since higher-level cards tend to have better fans, even though they have to provide more cooling.

Equally, if you do care (maybe you only have slot power, or running costs are an issue), the advantage of the 1650 is clear. The question is, are you willing to pay for it, and also pay the costs of using a closed-source driver?

Of course, you could wait for Navi to solve the problem. I imagine 1650 prices will fall quite a bit once a true competitor comes out.

Right now, though, NVIDIA can sell it at a premium because AMD does not have a competitive equivalent product; just equivalent performance from similar products that they are willing to price lower (as was the case for CPUs during much of the last decade).
                Last edited by GreenReaper; 16 May 2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post
                  You appear to have confused system power with graphics card power. The PCIe slot limit is 75W. The CPU, PSU, drives, RAM take power as well.
                  You Right,
                  I hadn't paid attention it was System Power Usage..

Thanks for your clarification

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

This is my configuration file named "rx570". I use it as a systemd service and starts with the system:

Code:
                    #!/bin/bash
                    # Script to configure AMD Rx570

echo "s 7 1300 1020" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
                    echo "s 6 1250 1000" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
                    echo "s 5 1200 980" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
                    echo "s 4 1150 960" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
                    echo "s 3 1100 940" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
                    echo "m 2 1800 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
                    echo "c" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
                    It is for the mini-itx version that is limited to 120w and it doesn't touch the first two power levels, so i can confirm 35w.
                    Thanks for that
                    I don't Find OverDrive SysFs controls, in ubuntu 18.04

How can you activate overdrive?

Thanks in Advance

Comment

Working...
                    X