Valve Pushes Out Big Steam Beta Update, Linux Changes & Steam Remote Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Pushes Out Big Steam Beta Update, Linux Changes & Steam Remote Play

Phoronix: Valve Pushes Out Big Steam Beta Update, Linux Changes & Steam Remote Play

Valve issued a new Steam beta release that contains a lot of changes across the board, including Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to play Left4Dead2 on Vulkan, does Valve have any plans to transition at least the older OpenGL games to an OpenGL emulation over Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I'd like to play Left4Dead2 on Vulkan, does Valve have any plans to transition at least the older OpenGL games to an OpenGL emulation over Vulkan?
      why would valve do another level of slowdown?

Comment

Hope that those network changes fixes solve a 3/4 years old bug where disconnecting and reconnecting NetworkManager forces you to restart Steam. Example: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/csgo-osx-linux/issues/1518.

Comment

The real BIG update we are all waiting for is EAC and Battleye compatibility through Steamplay/Proton, I think that will be one of the KEY game changes for us Linux users. (at least those who want to play online anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            The real BIG update we are all waiting for is EAC and Battleye compatibility through Steamplay/Proton, I think that will be one of the KEY game changes for us Linux users. (at least those who want to play online anyway)
            Yeah EAC and BattlEye support will be huge. At least Steam Remote Play will enable you to stream EAC/BattlEye enabled games to a Linux machine via a Crossover cable, WiFi and Ethernet LAN, and now from a Windows computer outside your home network, over the Internet.

Comment

OK, so that was about 20GB of updates. Holy monkey. I hope it does something useful.

Comment

> On the Linux front specifically, there is a fix that was causing Steam to crash randomly when launching games,
                But crashing games when they launched from XFS partition they don't fix yet.

Comment

Emulation* of OpenGL in Vulkan would most likely slow the game down due to overhead unless the emulator and Vulkan driver are far more clever at optimization than existing OpenGL drivers, so the only benefit would be for GPUs with only a Vulkan implementation. If you need or want to try such a thing, there is [Zink], but I don't believe it has advanced past OpenGL 2.1 yet.
                  *more like a compatibility or translation layer, like Wine is
                  [Zink]: <https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...tation-vulkan/>

Comment

You could try playing the Windows version in Wine with D9VK.

Comment

Working...
                    X