NVIDIA/AMD Linux Gaming Performance For Hitman 2 On Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

TPU uses Intel Core i7 8700K which is not too much slower than 9900K in absolute most games.

I strongly suspect DXVK disables certain Direct3D 11 features for AMD GPUs that's why they end up running faster in Linux than in Windows.
    or amd drivers in windows are garbage like always

Comment

Stop embarrassing yourself, please.
      It was a courtesy for your information, and here's another
      But if it pleases you to believe so... you're welcome
      Last edited by kokoko3k; 03 May 2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

[...] the graphics stack in Windows works close to the kernel and in X.org works as a user process in Linux).
        Xorg isn’t a bottleneck for games (at least not unless the frame-rate is orders of magnitude higher). With page flipping, Xorg doesn’t do any rendering of its own, it just passes on the application‘s buffers to the kernel for display.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Thanks for this, but can you please state what CPU, GPU etc ?

If it is in the settings, those are too small, I can not read it.
          This is with an RX 580 + i7 6700k on the same system.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Your images have a very low resolution and images are blurred. A regular user made video is more believable. An example:
          Your video is shit, it shows Hitman 1 and there is not even a comparison.

Your statement regarding 1000Hz kernel btw. is shit too, you're clearly too incompetent to reliably benchmark its non-existing impact.

Shit, the 3rd: The AMD Windows DX11 driver is not that bad like some people state here. There were also discussions on the DXVK bugtracker where Philip Rebohle and other developers responded that wrappers magically boosting performance is pure nonsense. So, stop spreading this garbage here...

Comment

Nice benchmarks. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              This is with an RX 580 + i7 6700k on the same system.

Your video is shit, it shows Hitman 1 and there is not even a comparison.

Your statement regarding 1000Hz kernel btw. is shit too, you're clearly too incompetent to reliably benchmark its non-existing impact.

Shit, the 3rd: The AMD Windows DX11 driver is not that bad like some people state here. There were also discussions on the DXVK bugtracker where Philip Rebohle and other developers responded that wrappers magically boosting performance is pure nonsense. So, stop spreading this garbage here...
              Wrappers can take uplifting to the better Api: https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

And on Nvidia i can clearly see 6+ deferred threads on Windows.
              Last edited by artivision; 03 May 2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Michael
                Since (I assume) You will do the Linux vs. Windows benchmarks on Ubuntu, it would be cool if You could add an additional run with the following tweaks:

- With Intel's 'pstate' driver - not only setting the governor to "performance", but also the "performance-bias" to 0 for truly maximum performance.
                (Easily achieved with the following command: sudo cpupower -c all set --perf-bias 0)

- Utilising Ubuntu's "low-latency" kernel for improved frame-times.

- Pinning the GPU to its highest performance level.

- Setting the I/O-scheduler to "BFQ" with its default settings (i.e. activated 'low_latency' flag).

- Additionally activating Feral's GameMode for increased I/O-priority for the game being run. (Alternatively You could do the same manually.)

With the above modifications, I'm seeing clearly improved performance & responsiveness with Arch-Linux's ZEN kernel!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  With the above modifications, I'm seeing clearly improved performance & responsiveness with Arch-Linux's ZEN kernel!
                  Where exactly?
                  All my games that aren't broken run completely stutter-free without those settings and those that are broken don't run better either.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Where exactly?
                    All my games that aren't broken run completely stutter-free without those settings and those that are broken don't run better either.
                    Everywhere basically!
                    WINE+DXVK, PCSX2, PPSSPP, RPCS3, Dolphin; you name it!
                    Hell, even just browsing the web with Firefox has improved drastically!

All of this compared to the out-of-the-box experience with Arch-Linux (Antergos), which gets even more profound when compared to my previous distro (openSUSE Tumbleweed)!

That's why it would be interesting to see whether Michael can also quantify these improvements when applying said modifications to Ubuntu!

BTW, what are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                      BTW, what are you running?
                      That's on Arch, I don't think your stutter problem is normal. Only thing I did is to use performance CPU clock governor, as powersave is pure rubbish on at least original Skylake and older. Well, and I also use BFQ for IO, but since I don't have any IO background activity, it doesn't matter for games.
                      I don't have any stutter e.g. in Hitman 2 once shaders are compiled. I also just tried out Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (finally works with recent Wine) and it shares the same verdict (no perceivable stutter and fps well above 100).

Comment

Working...
                      X