No announcement yet.

NVIDIA/AMD Linux Gaming Performance For Hitman 2 On Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eventually DXVK will beat AMD on D3D11 but not Nvidia. AMD's D3D11 feels abandoned and the ultra fast path with very advanced multi threading seams impossible there. Just invest on Linux with a Radeon, this is the best PC choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      FWIW, in the next week or two hope to do a Windows vs. Linux Steam Play comparison with the same systems/GPUs.
      That would be great! I also hope you'll find time to capture and post unresized screenshots (in PNG) from this game running under Proton and Windows to settle any possible speculations in regard to rendering paths/quality.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        I'll wait for screenshots. I can't imagine AMD Windows drivers to be this bad. We are talking up to 20% difference which is just huge.
        I think it's pure myth non-sense, but I can run a test Linux vs. Windows myself (with Hitman 1 levels in Hitman 2).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          I think it's pure myth non-sense, but I can run a test Linux vs. Windows myself (with Hitman 1 levels in Hitman 2).
          I guess lots of people will be interested. Please do.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I messaged bridgman and the other AMD folks a few days back after doing more testing, but haven't heard back yet.
            Have you 'tested' it on Windows, finally?

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

Have you 'tested' it on Windows, finally?
              Haven't had a Windows install around able to test it on, but will do a Windows install on the 9900K box when doing the Windows tests, was waiting closer to Windows 10 May update for a new install on desktop hardware.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

Hitman 2 running faster on DXVK + radv compared to native AMD DX11 was already discovered months ago by reddit users:

(there are more posts than this one)

It's not a case of DXVK cutting corners, it renders everything correctly, it's just that AMD's DX11 driver is typical AMD cpu-boundware and ends up getting beating by DXVK + radv in some games, even with the translation layer overhead. This doesn't happen on nvidia because their dx11 driver is very efficient.
                It does happen on NVIDIA though, just maybe not with Hitman 2. However, I haven't checked Hitman 2, nor do I have a dedicated Windows install anymore (all my favorite games run on Linux.) so I can't create a comparison for you. Be skeptical if you want. A very large company is leading up efforts to uproot people and get them to move to Linux. If more companies would take notice, everyone would win.

Comment

Michael Interested to know what your problems with VII come from. I swapped out my Vega 64 for a VII and it just worked out of the box on ArchLinux.

Comment

Michael

Comment

Oops, can't edit. Michael is Wayland enabled on your system? You mention something about it being disabled on Ubuntu, but in my experience that has not been the case. You need to specify wayland=false in /etc/gdm3/custom.conf. It's commented out. If you disable Wayland on NVIDIA systems at least, DXVK and proton are severely hampered and framerates drop.

Comment

Working...
                      X