Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA/AMD Linux Gaming Performance For Hitman 2 On Steam Play

Phoronix: NVIDIA/AMD Linux Gaming Performance For Hitman 2 On Steam Play

While Hitman was ported to Linux by Feral Interactive, Hitman 2 that was released back in November of 2018 hasn't seen a native Linux port. However, in recent months Hitman 2 has been running under DXVK+Proton with Steam Play for allowing this stealth video game to run nicely under Linux. More recently the latest Proton updates have worked around an issue that previously prevented our benchmarking of this game, so in this article is a look at the Hitman 2 Linux gaming performance with different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    while the GTX 1660 was still in good shapoe
    Also why is the comment counter at the footer smaller?

Comment

Michael have you been in contact with the developers to try to fix your VII? Soon we will have Navi release, we need the card working for comparison

Comment

AMD GPUs look unusually good in this game - looks like DXVK doesn't work the same for different architectures on Linux.

Here are Windows results for this game:

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          Michael have you been in contact with the developers to try to fix your VII? Soon we will have Navi release, we need the card working for comparison
          I messaged bridgman and the other AMD folks a few days back after doing more testing, but haven't heard back yet.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            AMD GPUs look unusually good in this game - looks like DXVK doesn't work the same for different architectures on Linux.
            Besides DXVK itself, there's also the matter of the Vulkan drivers and the other factors involved.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Nice benchmarks. Thanks!

I get around 50fps (don't remember the exact number) with my Fury running 1440p medium-ish, but the benchmark is quite heavy compared to the real gameplay, so I'd say the game is perfectly enjoyable even when the benchmark shows numbers slightly below 60fps. It's not the type of game that demands insane frame-rates to be enjoyable either, and it looks good even on moderate settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Besides DXVK itself, there's also the matter of the Vulkan drivers and the other factors involved.
                The more I look at your results the weirder they become.

Vega64 at 1440p:

On Windows: 51.2FPS
                On Linux: 65.1FPS

This can't be right. Linux cannot run games faster than Windows in emulation (two layers of emulation actually: Win32->Posix, Direct3D11->Vulkan and not to mention that the graphics stack in Windows works close to the kernel and in X.org works as a user process in Linux).

Comment

Hitman 2 is partially not well optimized for Radeons, they lose quite a lot of performance in some foliage intense levels vs. Nvidia. On Windows, Radeons perform well in the Miami Formula 1 level as well.
                  But great to see that DXVK + RADV deliver top notch performance here.

Regarding the verdict which framerates are playable: Kinda disagree, just set dxgi.maxFrameLatency = 1 in dxvk.conf to get lower input latency and better frametimes at usually just a very slight fps loss. I play the old Hitman 1 levels in Hitman 2 on an RX 580 without issues in 1440p. Just the stupid screen space shadows (which are basically invisible), ultra LOD setting and reflection quality higher than low are a problem, but the game usually still looks very good with that tweaking anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The more I look at your results the weirder they become.

Vega64 at 1440p:

On Windows: 51.2FPS
                    On Linux: 65.1FPS

This can't be right. Linux cannot run games faster than Windows in emulation (two layers of emulation actually: Win32->Posix, Direct3D11->Vulkan and not to mention that the graphics stack in Windows works close to the kernel and in X.org works as a user process in Linux).
                    Keep in mind no idea what CPU was used in the Windows results you are citing where as my system was with 9900K, among other factors.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X