Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve's Proton 4.2-3 Released With Wine-Mono Integration Plus DXVK 1.0.3, Updated FAudio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, proton 4.2-3 causes tearing with Age of Empires II. Lets see if there's a way to roll back to 4.2-2...

Edit: was able to roll back to 4.2-2 and Aoe II HD works fine again.
    Last edited by JonathanM; 19 April 2019, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Comments still missing "in this version z, y, and z works" posting.

Comment

This update intrigues me - I have a game that depends on XNA that isn't working so I hope this'll fix that. The game is known to work but considering I'm in no rush to play it, the amount of time and effort to get it to work just isn't worth my time. Hopefully this'll, at the very least, be a major shortcut.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Suggestion: Articles like this should always include a few examples of what games are affected and in what way.
        The article mentions what has been changed and it mentions games that are now known to be playable. Isn't that good enough?

Comment

Does this AoE II HD fix mean that the ridiculous scrolling bug when alt-tabbing is gone now? As far as I remember it was related to some quirky input mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by ryad View Post
            Does this AoE II HD fix mean that the ridiculous scrolling bug when alt-tabbing is gone now? As far as I remember it was related to some quirky input mapping.
            Input when switching to windowed mode was way off, so I don't think so. I didn't use 4.2-3 very long though as I do not tolerate tearing.

Comment

Proton is becoming THE way for games to run on Linux. I hate to say it but I think it might be best if game devs actually "support proton" instead of native Linux. This seems odd but after having 3+ native Linux games break due to the usual dependency and library ABI hell that is Linux, I've came to the conclusion that the proton versions are actually more stable and long lived on Linux than native ones.

The performance gap is also quite narrow for most games to work fine. It also makes the most sense from business perspective to simply support the major platform and possibly give some minor shoulder look at this proton thing if there's some known issue. I just don't know what Valves end game is with this.
              Last edited by Almindor; 19 April 2019, 01:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                I wonder if this makes Arkham Asylum easier to install.
                Not Arkham Knight: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-484714245

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                  I wonder if this makes Arkham Asylum easier to install.
                  I don't know if it works with Proton but it does with Wine: Start with a clean WINEPREFIX, then start Arkham City, Arkham City installs all the bits Arkham Asylum needs to get running. Once Arkham City is happy, Arkham Asylum should be happy too; this presumes you own Arkham City GOTY and Arkham Asylum GOTY.

That said, I haven't tried this in Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yeah, sure. Next day if I see a fly in my room I will demolish my house and live somewhere else.
                    That's what I would do :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                      Proton is becoming THE way for games to run on Linux. I hate to say it but I think it might be best if game devs actually "support proton" instead of native Linux. This seems odd but after having 3+ native Linux games break due to the usual dependency and library ABI hell that is Linux, I've came to the conclusion that the proton versions are actually more stable and long lived on Linux than native ones.

Really proton is not exactly the way forwards. Do note native has the largest percentage of working games. This is games running on the steam runtime.
                      A runtime environment for Steam applications. Contribute to ValveSoftware/steam-runtime development by creating an account on GitHub.

Yes this is being designed to remove distribution differences from games ever seeing. Yes steam runtime is an enhanced chroot.

So the usual dependency ABI hell issue does not have to exist. As a game developer to avoid this problem these days you have the choice of flatpak, snap or steam runtime.

The games running on the steam runtime have a lower regression rate than those running on Proton. Wine/Proton is not perfect. When I say lower regressions I mean longer living as working.

Reality is proton inside steam and steam runtime and flatpak runtimes and even snap solutions are all basically the same thing. Program declares in the installer part exactly what runtime they need and that what they get so you have way less problems.

Of course you could have been unlucky if those 3 native Linux games that broke were steam ones but you would have to been really unlucky.

Really there has been a lot of people say over the years we cannot support all the different distributions as excuse not to support Linux. What flatpak runtime and steam runtime shows you never had . All you had todo was make is a unified runtime and provide way to ship that to end users with the application this works out more stable than Wine/Proton.

Main reason why Valve is interested in Proton they have a lot games they wish to have on the Linux platform that they are licensed to distribute that the source code to the program no longer exists so cannot be ported. Valve main interest in proton is as a legacy game solution for the programs that can never be ported. For porting games and having them run on multi distributions Valve has a decent solution and there are decent competitor solutions as well.

Maybe users buying games on Native Linux need to make it kind of clear unless it uses flatpak or steam runtime you are not handing over your money.

Loki Linux games from the 1990s can still be made run today when matching them up with a compatible run-time on current day distributions steam runtime in a lot of ways based off how people made runtimes for Loki Linux games to keep them working as time moved forwards.

Basically for shipping applications on Linux Distributions use one of the runtime methods and 99.9 percent of the time you can totally ignore the distribution the user is using.

Comment

Working...
                      X