SuperTuxKart 0.10 RC1 Released With Working LAN/Internet Multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperTuxKart 0.10 RC1 Released With Working LAN/Internet Multiplayer

Phoronix: SuperTuxKart 0.10 RC1 Released With Working LAN/Internet Multiplayer

If you are looking for some kid-friendly Linux gaming this weekend, SuperTuxKart 0.10 has reached release candidate maturity with its LAN/Internet multiplayer support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My worldwide stk rank is 59! What's yours?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
      The gift boxes don't have any animations when they are picked up, and not even in the HUD.
      They're random. Why do you need an animation?

The sound effects... They sound funny but old.
      Maybe they'll overhaul them some day. It's probably not on the top of their priority list. They made a major change going to the new graphics engine and getting the multiplayer working.

Where can I see my current speed? There is no way to do that... (and no, the speedometer isn't accurate and doesn't even have labels) (edit: I just saw a video of the other kart game, and now I can say this isn't much of an issue)
      I think that would be an interesting option, regardless of whether more popular kart games do it or not.

I can't hear any gear shift sounds. The whole engine sound effect system is unrealistic.
      A lot of real life go karts only have one gear. You adjust the gear ratio to the track.

Comment

What I don't like about SuperTuxKart:
        Almost every single animation uses linear interpolation, which makes them feel robotic.
        Thankfully STK recently not a new contributor who knows animation, he re-did the monkey animations already.
        Where can I see my current speed? There is no way to do that... (and no, the speedometer isn't accurate and doesn't even have labels) (edit: I just saw a video of the other kart game, and now I can say this isn't much of an issue)
        Actually the speedometer was made significantly more accurate in this release, in 0.9.3 it was very inaccurate, but Alayan fixed it for 0.10.

0.10 has a ton of fixes for papercuts, and while this doesn't make for an exciting news article, it is great for the game. I'm excited for 0.10, and I'll be really excited when Story Mode is redone (https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewto...p?f=18&t=11414).

Comment

• The sound effects... They sound funny but old.
          I really like them! I hope they stay like this.

• Where can I see my current speed? [...]
          I go by the engine sound. Because I don't really care about the actual speed when racing, all I need to know if the nitro or boost are still active (so that I can feel desperate if they aren't .

• I can't hear any gear shift sounds. The whole engine sound effect system is unrealistic.
          Maybe the STK rules require the use of a CVT? Or their engines are so powerful, they use a fixed gear? I don't know but it would be cool if some karts came with a stick shift and you would have to change the gears manually.

• The slowdown balloon disappears immediately. Not even a sound is heard.
          Meh.

Comment

What I don't like about SuperTuxKart:
            • I can't hear any gear shift sounds. The whole engine sound effect system is unrealistic.
            The STK karts do have gears, and the engine speed sound does (or should, bugs are always possible) adjust accordingly, there's just no click/chunk sound for the shifting, but that's OK IMO.

Comment

They should move to Godot.

Comment

Increases visual quality. As an example, in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, when you collect a star coin, it does not just suddenly appear in the HUD, but rather appears with a ripple effect.
                That's your problem. STK draws inspiration from the Nintendo Kart games. It does not try to clone them.

I see, but then how does the engine sound's pitch ramp up and then suddenly goes down and ramps up again and so on in STK? Doesn't that mean gear shifting? (sorry if I don't understand something)
                I have no idea. I've played STK a few times over the years, but I always listen to music when I do so and I don't want to hear video game sound effects.

See how only few care about quality? Come on, we are not in the '80's anymore (when hardware was limited and we could only do some basic stuff like twm and xterm/xclock/xeyes).
                You're being hyper-critical of an opensource, all ages, animated game. Seriously? You're like one of those parents at a little league baseball game that harasses the ump about balls and strikes. The point of the game has been lost on you...

Comment

Had to spend an hour racing today after I saw this post. Good times, love the fact I can run it with libre-Linux with no proprietary firmware.

Comment

New graphics engine? How many new graphics engines have they made?
                    In 0.7 they switched to a new graphics engine.
                    In 0.9 they heavily modified it, and as such was another new graphics engine.
                    He was probably referring to the engine in 0.9. 0.10 has some performance improvements and refactoring, (and switched to PBR), but isn't a new engine.

I see, but then how does the engine sound's pitch ramp up and then suddenly goes down and ramps up again and so on in STK? Doesn't that mean gear shifting? (sorry if I don't understand something)
                    Yes, that is gear shifting (see my earlier post).

See how only few care about quality? Come on, we are not in the '80's anymore (when hardware was limited and we could only do some basic stuff like twm and xterm/xclock/xeyes).
                    If STK had enough donations to hire 1 full-time artist, it would be much better, but alas, volunteer art is hard to come by (I think the FOSS/open philosophy is much less prevalent in the art world).

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post
                    They should move to Godot.
                    Once again, needs manpower, and the engine isn't the main limitation in STK, so devoting manpower to an engine switch (which would be HUGE) would just take that manpower away from doing things like fixing bugs and adding features.

Comment

Working...
                    X