Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Half-Year Since Valve Released Steam Play For Linux, Its Marketshare Is Still Sub-1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
    It needs to run pubg lol fortnite and apex. Until we don’t have them on Linux we can forget the largest potential audiences for games that can grow the player base
    Both fortnite and apex aren't even available on Steam, so I have no idea why Valve has anything to do with their support. If their contributions to wine get these tames running, it will just be a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Some notes:

Point 1: Exists there an explicit statement by Valve that Proton gaming counts as Linux market share and doesn't count as Windows market share?

Point 2: There is a significant latency (months) for AAA Windows titles to get supported by Proton/Wine, which misses the initial hype surrounding a new AAA game. Even after that time passes, for example, The Witcher 3 released in year 2015 for Windows had performance issues and graphical issues in Linux in year 2018. (I mean this as a motivation for Linux-gaming-ecosystem developers: there are a lot of opportunities to make Linux better).

Point 3: The new Epic Games Store has no Linux support and there are no plans to support Linux in the future. See https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap
      I'm actually playing Witcher 3 now. Tried it out in SteamPlay/Proton, but the performance was pretty bad. Once that's fixed I'd prefer to play it on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Because dual booting sucks? Might as well just use full Windows, since it will spy on whatever the hell you have on Linux also.
        No it won't.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          No it won't.
          Of course it will. We all know that Microsoft has hidden BTRFS, XFS, JFS, EXT2/3/4, ZFS, ReiserFS, and bcachefs drivers with a custom LUKS implementation using the NSA's backdoor keys installed under SysWOW64 to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            Anyone here a network engineer? No? No amount of fiber or bandwidth will fix the latency issue that cloud gaming has.
            Correct, you need a distributed infrastructure. Google and other tech giants do have that as they need it also for their current services. They just need to add the "cloud consoles" in their datacenters spread around the world.

But everyone's internet does suck balls.
            No we are at a tipping point. There is a significant amount of people that have decent Internet, even in third world countries like the US, and it could be enough to set the ball rolling

From a purely technical standpoint, it did manage to stay in the same ballpark of a console (and only twice the latency of a PC) with a 15Mbit connection which is achievable in many places. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tream-gdc-2019
            and

Everyone who tried Stadia experienced latency and everyone hated it.
            not really.

Just going to point out that Stadia doesn't run on a RTX graphics card but a Radeon server GPU.
            I'm not sure what this is even supposed to convey. Are "radeon server GPUs" somehow worse than NVIDIA gaming cards? Really?

But still, it's not even a "radeon server GPU" but a custom thing with 16GB of HBM2 ram https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...c-and-analysis
            and it's supposed to be "elastic" aka you can join more than one of these things to run a single game.

Stadia isn't equivalent to a high end gaming PC, not even close to a low end PC.
            It's better than a low end PC but of course not better than a high midrange or even high end gaming PC. But it's not terribly relevant.

Stadia isn't competing with PC but with consoles, that's its manifest target audience.

Besides the LAG!!, you also lose imagine quality due to compression. What's the point of having high graphic settings when it turns into blurry mess?
            Please explain the rationale for using crappy compression algorithms when people is streaming REALTIME 1080p games FROM THEIR OWN PC, with no appreciable loss of quality. And Google is somehow unable to do at least the same.

Also, none of the demos showed this.

Cloud Gaming is the most painfully retarded thing I've seen in a while. WTF even?
            Doesn't matter, the benefits for the ecosystem owner are too big to pass up so they will keep trying until they make it.
            The "cloud console" has always been a wet dream of both console vendors, btw. You know, being able to kill the used game market in one simple move and have full control on distribution so they can create regional exclusives similarly to other media (movies mostly).

Bethesda thought hat since everyone loved the previous Fallout games that Fallout 76 would be great with it's bugs, micro-transactions and lack of content.
            Older bethesda games (up to Fallout New Vegas anyway) had a decent story even in side quests, good acting and a huge all-powerful modding community.
            Fallout 76 has no story to speak of, 0 acting, 0 fucking NPCs besides the players and the mobs, and 0 modding as it's online. Plus bullcrap like microtransactions.
            And they already got flak for Fallout 4 because it had a shitty story and less appeal than the older titles.

Now, I don't want to be captain obvious, but if you take a successful product and replace it with an empty shell with above-average graphics, and it fails hard.... it's completely expected.

Do you want to take other stupid examples like EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2 that managed to be worse than the game with the same name from a decade ago?

Because that's just businness decisions trampling game development. If a bean counter is in charge you can't expect good products.

World of Warcraft with BfA thought the same thing and neither game is doing well.
            It's like a decade that WoW is slowly dying. Let it go in peace.

If Valve wanted to fight back they could just release Half Life 3 and it would be game over for Stadia.
            Valve isn't stupid, they know full well that they can't deliver anything even remotely resembling a decent game, go figure making something that would appease the fans after all the hype for HL3.
            That's why they are dabbling with low-brainpower cash cow games only.
            Valve is long since into the "businness decisions trampling game development" stage, they are just more aware of it than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              Linux isn't the problem now, humans are. People would rather spend hours trying to get Windows to function correctly instead of taking 10 minutes to try Linux. Pathetic, I'm sorry.
              That's true. Windows 10 is a bag filled of issues and people prefer to keep it instead of switching to a more reliable system like Ubuntu.

Comment

Unapproved post for Dukenukemx above

Comment

With Proton 95% of the games in my Steam library has are working flawless now.
                  I was gaming on Linux before hand... but with Proton I have been spending much more of time, (and money) with Steam.

Comment

my current count of Linux games and proton games working in Steam is 704. I have literally 3 games left in windows. One of them is Watch Dogs. Fallout 4 works fine as long as you dont go crazy on the mods. However, i am experimenting in maintaining the mods in vmware/virtualbox and loading it up in proton. The rest of my games are in crossover 32 bit or 64bit or a handful in wine. Blizzard games are working just fine with a few tweaks.

As for Stadia.... shut up about it unless you tried it. I tried it and found it worked great even on a chromebook over wireless at less than 25Mb/s. I experienced very little lag if any. I am too interested in the cost, but for now I will wait. I played Odyssey on a chromebook while waiting on my replacement pump for my pc.

Comment

This is so far from the truth that it's not even funny.
                      Big titles always favoured consoles, because there is where most of the chimps with money play.
                      But there is much more than just the few big buck productions, and there is no dwindling of anything.
                      lol dream on.big titles started off on pc. Lala land arguments.

Do we even need EA or Ubisoft games at all? Last I checked it was overhyped trash.
                      if you want to be the basement dweller of games then no. I guess if you think tetris is the pinnacle of gaming, LOL...

Comment

Working...
                      X