Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Half-Year Since Valve Released Steam Play For Linux, Its Marketshare Is Still Sub-1%

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    I think it's an oxymoron to try and make Linux gaming friendly when yet so many distros, even Ubuntu, aren't as simple to use as Windows ....
    Ever had to fix corrupt system registry? Cannot be done, only a full reinstall. Never had a corrupt file in Linux that couldn't be reinstalled or reconstructed. Getting more gamers and grandparents to use the OS are two separate issues.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Yndoendo View Post

      Ever had to fix corrupt system registry? Cannot be done, only a full reinstall. Never had a corrupt file in Linux that couldn't be reinstalled or reconstructed. Getting more gamers and grandparents to use the OS are two separate issues.
      Linux to me is easier to deal with than Windows. The only time it isn't is when I need to install graphic drivers. Oibaf's PPA is great but it does break often and isn't a simple install for a Windows user. Even Nvidia driver's can be difficult when Windows users have to deal with terminal commands. Otherwise I don't need to install drivers for anything else as everything is automatically handled in Ubuntu or Mint.

      As a gamer it needs to play "ALL" my games. Not just Steam obviously cause no one person uses Steam exclusively. Unfortunate truth but there are other places to get exclusive games besides Steam. There are other issues like people using older hardware that don't have Vulkan or OpenGL 4.5 like Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 users. A Radeon HD 6850 user might play Fallout 4 just fine on Windows 10 but wouldn't on Linux using Wine. Especially if they have a laptop where it isn't as easy as upgrading the GPU on a desktop.

      It's getting there, I feel it just needs more time.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        They were not big titles back then. They were just good games, just like many others offered by other smaller companies that still exist on PC.
        Madden, NBA to name just two.
        Even titles like Battlefield and Farcry sell far more on console than pc yet started the opposite.
        So I'm not sure what you're arguing (other than for argument's sake).

        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

        But still, what about Halo (Xbox), or AssCreed (multiplatform)? They didn't even started on PC.

        If you think you need to play trash games just because they are made by big companies, you are the basement dweller, not me.
        Comprehension not a strong point. Read what I wrote instead of what you think I wrote.


        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        For example, is Divinity Original Sin (and the 2) coming from a big company? No. Is it damn good strategy RTS with modern graphics? Yes.

        Are games like Outward https://store.steampowered.com/app/794260/Outward/ made by big companies? no. Is it a good open-ended RPG with pretty decent combat system with modern graphics? Yes.

        What about Stellaris, from Paradox? A great strategy game.

        Were Homeworld (the original) and Homeworld Cataclysm (now available renamed on GOG as Homeworld: Emergence because of copyright issues with Blizzard) made by big studios? No they were not, but they still became great titles.
        And? I don't care about these games, never have, never will. As I stated, linux and all it's 1000 incantations will never attract the pc gaming market of microsoft or even apple, they'll just languish in indie game territory because even big house developers are skipping pcs now. fact.
        Queue the outrage.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          Like I said before, "techno babble". Have you tried playing a game on server hardware? A 56 core Intel Xeon running at 2.6Ghz is not a gaming CPU. Even still you could probably achieve 60fps since Stadia is limited to that frame rate anyway, but GPU's are a different story and I doubt Google has these server grade GPU's all over the place. They will be at specific key points, not right next door. Also games do make extensive use of a GPU where a CPU is something you can make use of for other tasks while gaming. So again the GPU's they use for Stadia are probably going to be used specific for gaming.
          I play games with a dual processor Xeon x5687, 48GB DDR3 ECC, root on BTRFS, games on ZFS, with an RX 580. Is that server hardware enough? My hard drives are still 7200 rpm FWIW.

          Currently playing Dirt Rally and getting 60fps smooth, an average of 59fps, a minimum of 52fps, using a mix of ultra, high, and medium with 2x MSAA.

          Comment


          • #65
            Having to add PPAs to get up to date drivers is retarded and no gamer should be expected to do that to game.

            Likewise, no gamer should be expected to use a rolling distro where things do break.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Having to add PPAs to get up to date drivers is retarded and no gamer should be expected to do that to game.

              Likewise, no gamer should be expected to use a rolling distro where things do break.
              I don't have rolling release problems with Manjaro. Use a sane rolling release distribution and those problems are non-existent.

              Rolling release and bleeding edge rolling release are not the same things and y'all need to quit acting like they are.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                I play games with a dual processor Xeon x5687, 48GB DDR3 ECC, root on BTRFS, games on ZFS, with an RX 580. Is that server hardware enough? My hard drives are still 7200 rpm FWIW.

                Currently playing Dirt Rally and getting 60fps smooth, an average of 59fps, a minimum of 52fps, using a mix of ultra, high, and medium with 2x MSAA.
                That CPU is basically a first generation rebranded core i7. It even runs at 3.6Ghz which is respectable even though the IPC isn't Sandy Bridge level. RX 580 and a 7200 RPM drive isn't exactly server grade hardware. It is popular today to find cheap server hardware and repurpose it for gaming.

                But the stuff Google will be using for Stadia is likely to be high core count with low clock speed. Great for servers and compiling the Linux kernel but poor at playing games which want high clock speed and IPC. Their "custom" Radeon GPU's are not going to be very different from a Radeon VII. The most interesting thing about Stadia is how all these games will be running on Google's custom Debian OS, which suggests that Stadia games are indeed ported to Linux. It's a shame that after all that effort to get something as useless and Cloud Gaming that Google won't open up a competitor to Steam and allow us to download and install these games on Linux. What a waste.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  Having to add PPAs to get up to date drivers is retarded and no gamer should be expected to do that to game.

                  Likewise, no gamer should be expected to use a rolling distro where things do break.
                  This could be fixed with a simple button that you can use to add the PPA to your OS. I think Ubuntu had this for a while but stopped? Also Oibaf's PPA is not stable cause it's like a snapshot of Mesa, but considering how infrequently Linux distros upgrade their drivers, this is really the best choice. You could install Ubuntu on AMD or Intel hardware and use it without issue, but you won't get any new drivers for a long time without the PPA.

                  Consequently my Ryzen system with a RX 480 running Windows 10 has been having driver crash issues for a year now and this stops when I don't use Firefox. People using AMD GPU's on Windows 10 have driver crash issues that isn't fixed yet and the solution is to go into your registry and enter TdrDelay with a higher value than what Windows 10 gives it. Doesn't work for me, the solution for me is to stop using FireFox and use Chrome instead . My FX 8350 with a RX 470 running Mint 19.1 doesn't have these issues and runs 24/7. OpenGL drivers for AMD users are awful in Windows while on Linux it's good as anyone who has tried running Citra, Cemu, and Yuzu will find. My Sound Blaster Recon3D stops working when I resume from sleep on Windows 10 and my solution is to hibernate the PC. Windows 10 isn't all peaches and cream.
                  Last edited by Dukenukemx; 03 April 2019, 09:59 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    That CPU is basically a first generation rebranded core i7. It even runs at 3.6Ghz which is respectable even though the IPC isn't Sandy Bridge level. RX 580 and a 7200 RPM drive isn't exactly server grade hardware. It is popular today to find cheap server hardware and repurpose it for gaming.
                    Not counting the GPU or HDDs I only spent $400 on it all. It was a $10K workstation/server back in its day. I'm pointing out that my old ass Westmere Xeons and a 580 running games from spinning rust and DDR3 can easily push better than console graphics and performance. A modern CPU running at half the GHz using SSDs and DDR4 will have better performance than my CPU with a heck of a lot more threads and IO available.

                    If a 9 year old server/workstation from Dell makes a good gaming PC in 2019, then yeah, modern server hardware will be great for gaming.

                    I buy most of my hardware from enterprise liquidations. There's no way I'd pay full price for a workstation.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                      Not counting the GPU or HDDs I only spent $400 on it all. It was a $10K workstation/server back in its day. I'm pointing out that my old ass Westmere Xeons and a 580 running games from spinning rust and DDR3 can easily push better than console graphics and performance. A modern CPU running at half the GHz using SSDs and DDR4 will have better performance than my CPU with a heck of a lot more threads and IO available.

                      If a 9 year old server/workstation from Dell makes a good gaming PC in 2019, then yeah, modern server hardware will be great for gaming.

                      I buy most of my hardware from enterprise liquidations. There's no way I'd pay full price for a workstation.
                      It's no secret that Moore's Law is dead. As long as the CPU is quad core or higher with eight threads or higher then you're fine. Is it as good as a modern CPU? No, but it'll play modern games just fine at least 60 fps. Will a modern server CPU running at 2.6Ghz with 24+ cores play games just fine? Yes, but neither of these setups are midrange or high end gaming.

                      The myth behind gaming on PC is that you need to spend lots of money to get a good experience, but that's far from the truth. This myth is perpetuated from Stadia as you have people that claim that it's equivalent to a RTX 2080 running on a Intel 9900K. People who have that kind of hardware laugh at the idea of 1080p 60fps. I have built my nephew a gaming PC that has a Ryzen 2200G and no GPU and that plays all the games at medium or high settings, depending on the game. That cost me less than $400 to build including a Windows 10 Pro license I bough for like $4 on Ebay. As much as I like Linux my 9 year old Nephew is not going to understand why Roblox and Fortnite doesn't run on Linux.

                      There's a channel on YouTube called JERMgaming that built a $375 PC he calls the Potato masher and puts it against the Xbox One and PS4. The PC was built on hardware available in 2013 when these consoles were released and in all cases it out performed them. Besides the potential to run games at higher quality and higher frame rate than 60fps, you have choices where to buy games besides just one store like Stadia. There's gaming mods and emulators but I feel that's a bit beyond what most Stadia users are expected to achieve.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X