Valve Is Teasing "Index" - Its Own VR Headset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

And now you pivot the conversation again while neither answering my question nor explaining how this new stuff is connected to the old stuff.

This just makes you look like either a madman with a wall full of newspaper clippings connected by colored yarn or a troll trying to barrage us with irrelevant nonsense until we give up. (At the moment, I'm leaning more toward the Time Cube interpretation.)

I'm not even going to bother trying to address what you said here until you clarify where I supposedly misunderstand something in https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/ro...rinciples.html and why "Newtons first law, read it again, and then again. Please.".
    The whole point for posting links, douchebag, is to provide evidence for what I claimed, which I did. My claims are already made, if you wish to understand them then reread them.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

The whole point for posting links, douchebag, is to provide evidence for what I claimed, which I did. My claims are already made, if you wish to understand them then reread them.
      OK, if you're going to insult rather than explain, then I'm out.

As far as I'm concerned, when someone resorts to either personal insults or physical violence, rather than providing the requested clarifications, they're admitting defeat in the realm of ideas and facts.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

OK, if you're going to insult rather than explain, then I'm out.

As far as I'm concerned, when someone resorts to either personal insults or physical violence, rather than providing the requested clarifications, they're admitting defeat in the realm of ideas and facts.
        Insults? INSULTS! Douchebag, you've been insulting me for post after fucking post. Go fuck yourself.

Comment

Insults? INSULTS! Douchebag, you've been insulting me for post after fucking post. Go fuck yourself.
          OK, one more post so I can admit my own mistakes, then I'll agree to disagree on our perceptions of the nature of reality.

I'll admit that it probably went a little too far to say "Not all of us revel in being out of touch with reality." and "I'm seriously starting to think that you need actual psychiatric help". Regardless of appearances, it's neither productive nor polite to impugn another's sanity like that.

I'd also argue that "OK, you're clearly so divorced from reality that it's not worth talking to you." as a response to "E does equal mc^2, but c is -not- the speed of light" is un-diplomatic and I should hold myself to a higher standard. However, I still firmly believe that the underlying sentiment is perfectly reasonable for the same reason that I'd call someone "divorced from reality" if they argued that the sky was green without strong evidence to back it up.

In fact, I even admitted that there's an argument that "c" is not the speed of light... but that argument is irrelevant because it still agrees on its value, regardless of what that value actually means in the greater behaviour of a physical system.

However, anything else that wasn't purely a refutation of your arguments or a request for clarification was a comment on how you've chosen to communicate, not who you are as a person.

For example:
          • "A friend of mine who comes across as far more grounded in reality..." (Plus, this was a statement about how there's no connection between seeming rational and having a good intuitive grasp of the energies involved in physical phenomena.)
          • "so I'm not going to waste my time trying to seek out a flaw in my arguments which, currently, appears to be only in your mind."
          • "This just makes you look like either a madman with a wall full of newspaper clippings connected by colored yarn or a troll trying to barrage us with irrelevant nonsense until we give up."
          Note the phrases I've bolded. There's an easy way to avoid that. Communicate more effectively, rather than changing the subject or giving the impression that you're getting upset when we don't get it. I even tried to help you there by asking for clarification when you linked to other people's long-form introductions to various aspects of physics which, from my perspective, still appeared to refute your arguments.

On the other hand, you jumped straight from unhelpfully claiming that you'd already told me what I needed to know when I asked for clarification, to personal attacks like "Dude are you really that dumb?" and "douchebag" which can't be interpreted more favourably as criticizing my mode of communication.

Either way, I've wasted enough time here so now I'm out. I've admitted my missteps, so feel free to have the last word.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 11 April 2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

The whole point for posting links, douchebag, is to ...
            That wasn't called for. ssokolow seemed to be arguing in good faith. If you do feel compelled to sling such insults, it's a clear sign that the exchange has long-since ceased being productive.

You can always withdraw without conceding. Resorting to abusive name-calling serves only to undermines your authority and turn people off. It's never a winning move.

Finally, as I said to starship, I expect such name-calling will get you flagged.
            Last edited by coder; 12 April 2019, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              That wasn't called for. ssokolow seemed to be arguing in good faith. If you do feel compelled to sling such insults, it's a clear sign that the exchange has long-since ceased being productive.

You can always withdraw without conceding. Resorting to abusive name-calling serves only to undermines your authority and turn people off. It's never a winning move.

Finally, as I said to starship, I expect such name-calling will get you flagged.
              Fine. And that's bullshits anyway, how in any hell is completely skipping my links, not even even bothering, good faith? It isn't. I covered -every- single one of his objections multiple times. It was done as soon as he didn't bother looking. That's not good faith, it was trolling flat out.

Comment

Fine. And that's bullshits anyway, how in any hell is completely skipping my links, not even even bothering, good faith?
                He explained that it wasn't clear to him what point the link was answering. I agree, to the extent I followed the conversation.

That's not good faith, it was trolling flat out.
                This is actually an improvement. If you feel somebody is trolling you, then call it out. Maybe they're not, but at least it helps them see your perspective and cuts to the heart of the issue much better than unhelpful name-calling and insults.

Comment

Working...
                X