No announcement yet.

Valve Is Teasing "Index" - Its Own VR Headset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think ready player one showed a realistic outlook as to where VR would eventually go because we have all that technology today but its rather clumsy and crap, but it exists, so its not a stretch to think one day it will just get better, including decent omni-directional run-pads and suspend anywhere body suits. Yes we have those today, they are crap but getting better.

Future society being nothing but a mass garbage pit of broken tech seems also realistic... lol

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Natural resources, pollution and climate change are real and I won't deny that, but they ARE vastly over-represented by propaganda to distract people from the real issues.
      I wish you were right about climate change.

My biggest pollution fear is a world of plastic-filled oceans. That will probably have a much smaller effect on the average person, but it will continue degrading the oceans as a viable source of food.

A return to authoritarianism when shit hits the fan is normal
      Except it seems to be gaining momentum even in countries that have been doing fairly well.

if you think the wealthy have more influence now than in the past you need to check your sources again.
      The problem is that money can buy more real political influence than ever before. In the past, you could bribe corrupt politicians, but it was harder to swing elections. Psychographic profiling of the electorate makes it possible to draw political districts with much more precision, and social media + targeted advertising allows politicians and political organizations to bypass journalists and customize their message to each voter. Not only can they tell you things they think you want to hear, but they can also motivate you to vote or not, depending on whether they think you support their candidate.

As wealthy gain more influence, they'll continue to bias things in their favor and the rest of us get less. The breaking point is a Greece scenario, where they end up bankrupting the state. With all that said, I'm not anti-capitalist. Unfortunately, that's exactly the kind of response we're already seeing, which brings its own issues and is just as likely to bring about economic calamity.

For a country populated by perfectly informed homo economicus, representative democracy is a great idea. But, in the world of today (and tomorrow), it's in serious jeopardy.

dwindling natural resources (which is a very long-term issue that will eventually be solved by space mining),
      You've been playing too many videogames. Space mining only makes sense for getting raw materials to build stuff in space, and possibly to find extremely valuable minerals for use on Earth. It's not a solution to problems like phosphorous depletion.

BTW, the idea that Mars can ever be terraformed to be remotely Earth-like has been pretty well debunked. I'm all for space exploration, but we need to figure out how to get at least a few more millennia out of this planet without killing each other or destroying its ability to sustain life as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        Michael speaking of steam, Is steamOS still alive?
        Yes, they eventually updated it since months ago I can run it on my "gaming" rig with the RX570

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          My biggest pollution fear is a world of plastic-filled oceans. That will probably have a much smaller effect on the average person, but it will continue degrading the oceans as a viable source of food.
          Overfishing is doing more damage than the plastic soup (overfishing = fishing more fish than can be replaced by natural reproduction) and is a more pressing concern. But still that's both slow enough that we can switch to something else AND usually not an issue for first world countries anyway.

Except it seems to be gaining momentum even in countries that have been doing fairly well.
          What are those countries? Because afaik globalization and bad management are an issue for every country across the board.

The problem is that money can buy more real political influence than ever before. In the past, you could bribe corrupt politicians, but it was harder to swing elections.
          swinging elections is irrelevant when you have lobbyists paying directly whoever is elected, and/or paying for the electoral campaign. Usually worked fine.

As wealthy gain more influence, they'll continue to bias things in their favor and the rest of us get less. The breaking point is a Greece scenario, where they end up bankrupting the state.
          It's not a matter of influence but of something else. They always had strong influence, it's just that with globalization they don't care about their nation anymore (as their money isn't connected to a specific nation or whatever anymore, so they just don't care).
          Same reasons they don't push their nation to go to war anymore. They can go and fight on economic scale to own more stuff on their own, and it's more effective now that they can do so because of globalization.

You've been playing too many videogames. Space mining only makes sense for getting raw materials to build stuff in space, and possibly to find extremely valuable minerals for use on Earth.
          Depends from the plan, and from the infrastructure you set up. I'm talking of NEO asteroids (which can be easily redirected to earth orbit even with current tech), not going out and mining the asteorid belt or even other planets.

Of course making a SaturnV-like mining mission is stupid, the same way that making a convoy of road vehicles to go mine something a thousand miles away without any support whatsoever.

It's not a solution to problems like phosphorous depletion.
          There are phosphorous rocks in asteoroids too, but afaik the phosphorus issue should solve itself (both more recycling organic phosphorus and reducing the ridiculous amount of food waste as food prices rise, we have like more than 50% of food wasted, that's a lot of margin) as the price slowly increases, just as "peak oil" issue will solve itself as the price increases as it becomes more and more scarce.
          This will fuck sideways third world countries, but I don't see first world be affected that much.

BTW, the idea that Mars can ever be terraformed to be remotely Earth-like has been pretty well debunked.
          Never claimed that, and I agree that terraforming is not within reach.
          The most practical space habitation is re-directing some asteroid to enter an earth orbit and then use its materials to build a space habitat, not the stuff from 70s designs with big open gardens mind me. Bonus points by making a space elevator on the moon (where it's entirely doable with current materials) to bring up rocket fuel manufactured from the water they found so you don't need to ship it from Earth.
          But this is not really going to happen for centuries, even for rich-people-only "heaven habitats".
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 31 March 2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Overfishing is doing more damage than the plastic soup (overfishing = fishing more fish than can be replaced by natural reproduction) and is a more pressing concern. But still that's both slow enough that we can switch to something else AND usually not an issue for first world countries anyway.
            I meant going-forward, since a lot of plans to scale up food production (in part, specifically to address overfishing) involve aquaculture. I don't agree that it's not an issue for wealthier countries, although they're mostly not as dependent on the sea for food.

That said, we could really be in for it, if plastics affect marine micro organisms in a significant way.

And speaking of effects on wealthier countries, do you not worry that increased immigration pressures and food prices will result in more Brexit and Trump-type outcomes? No country is truly isolated from global upheaval. Much economic activity of developed countries is in the form of exports, and demand for those is yet another feedback mechanism. Not to mention the price of raw material imports that must be sourced from unstable regions.

swinging elections is irrelevant when you have lobbyists paying directly whoever is elected, and/or paying for the electoral campaign. Usually worked fine.
            It's a difference both in degree and kind. Any increase in the ability to swing elections can mean more say in who's running, as well as the ability to challenge incumbents. And that power need not even be even be exercised, as even the threat acts as a Sword of Damocles that sways incumbents to the side of moneyed interests. There is no longer such a thing as a "safe seat", where an elected official can afford to take a principled vote. This is a new development.

Depends from the plan, and from the infrastructure you set up. I'm talking of NEO asteroids (which can be easily redirected to earth orbit even with current tech), not going out and mining the asteorid belt or even other planets.
            Asteroids will never be an economical source of bulk minerals for use on Earth. Too much energy is wasted getting in & out of orbit. Even with a space elevator, I'm not sure it could carry enough material to be worthwhile. Until graphene was discovered, no space elevator design could even support its own weight.

If it ever does happen, such a scale of asteroid mining is too far in the future to be a consideration of any impending shortages.

Never claimed that, and I agree that terraforming is not within reach.
            So, what if you're wrong about climate change? Do you think it's wise to risk doing serious and irreparable harm to the human-sustaining capacity of Earth? It's like playing Russian Roulette, except with the gun pointed at the future of humanity. I'm not saying it would cause human extinction, but hardship and misery (and worse) for billions seems bad enough. Time is running out to avert even some of the more conservative estimates. The longer we wait, the more drastic action will be required.

Some risks aren't worth taking. Unless you're incredibly confident of your conclusion, I'd think this would one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              I think ready player one showed a realistic outlook as to where VR would eventually go because we have all that technology today but its rather clumsy and crap, but it exists, so its not a stretch to think one day it will just get better, including decent omni-directional run-pads and suspend anywhere body suits. Yes we have those today, they are crap but getting better.

Future society being nothing but a mass garbage pit of broken tech seems also realistic... lol
              FYI - The omni-directional treadmill in RP1 is an existing product!
              We step onto the Infinadeck, the omnidirectional treadmill seen in the movie Ready Player One. This treadmill lets you walk freely in virtual reality, in any...

Comment

Starship, your 11 year old self needs not to talk about global geopolitics. You're out of your league on these forms even talking about tech happ the time. Your stupidity on global events like global warming are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                  Starship, your 11 year old self needs not to talk about global geopolitics. You're out of your league on these forms even talking about tech happ the time. Your stupidity on global events like global warming are a joke.
                  Such hurt, much butt.

Comment

Such hurt, much butt.
                    Exactly my point, that is the reply of a child.

People still don't want to argue with you,. Also, if you're above 18 years old, you need socialization therapy or something, you're either really young or really dumb. We were all there, but at least everyone else managed to stop spewing garbage and learned to be an adult with actual worth-while thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                      Exactly my point, that is the reply of a child.
                      Or the correct reply TO a child throwing a tantrum.

Comment

Working...
                      X