Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lot Of Valve's Proton Work Is Landing Back In Upstream Wine

Phoronix: A Lot Of Valve's Proton Work Is Landing Back In Upstream Wine

Yesterday Valve released Proton 4.2 as a big step forward for this Wine-based software that is integral to their "Steam Play" for running Windows games on Linux. CodeWeavers, which is working on Proton/Wine improvements under contract for Valve, provided a look today at the massive amount of patches that have been upstreamed already from Proton to Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    btter CPU reporting, finding DLLs of the correct 32/64 bitness,
    Also, bitness?

Comment

Good guy Valve.

Comment

It would be interesting to see if Google's new Stadia streaming service, which is based on Linux, would make use of Proton to increase the size of the game catalog.

It would also be interesting if Google forbade it.

I'm hoping that Google would be able to use their clout to force more devs to target Linux directly. If you want to be on Stadia, it should be a requirement.

Comment

I wonder why more of it isn't upstreamed? Is it still an issue of lack of communication and coordination? It would be great if all or nearly all of it could be upstreamed so that devs don't have to duplicate work.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
            It would be interesting to see if Google's new Stadia streaming service, which is based on Linux, would make use of Proton to increase the size of the game catalog.

It would also be interesting if Google forbade it.

I'm hoping that Google would be able to use their clout to force more devs to target Linux directly. If you want to be on Stadia, it should be a requirement.
            I was thinking the same thing, or perhaps they might create their own fork of Wine (that they also hopefully contribute upstream).
            I'm also thinking Google will likely have an impact improving the AMD drivers, since they're using AMD hardware.

Comment

Nice to see how the Wine development is getting speed up by Proton and co. :-)

Comment

I hope the upscaling support will land in mainline wine or at least staging.
                Would be great for older or even 1080p 32bit games.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                  Where's mfplat?
                  wtf is your nickname about? Request a nick change or something, jeez. 2014 is a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Typo:

Also, bitness?
                    Bitter CPU support

Comment

Working...
                    X