vkOpenArena: The ioquake3-Powered OpenArena Game Gets Ported To Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vkOpenArena: The ioquake3-Powered OpenArena Game Gets Ported To Vulkan

Phoronix: vkOpenArena: The ioquake3-Powered OpenArena Game Gets Ported To Vulkan

OpenArena, one of the most well known open-source games built atop the ioquake3 engine of what started out as id Tech 3, has now seen an independent port to the Vulkan graphics API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hope Unvanquished gets vulkan support
    btw would it be better if that game was ported ioquake 3 from its quake 3 derived engine ?

Comment

"vkOpenArena: The ioquake3-Powered OpenArena Game Gets Ported To Vulkan"
      Becouse we need the performance? :-)

Comment

Nice work! I'm always happy to see these Vulkan ports for old games! Will test this as soon as possible :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
          "vkOpenArena: The ioquake3-Powered OpenArena Game Gets Ported To Vulkan"
          Becouse we need the performance? :-)
          better performance is always a plus for reinforcement learning research
          Last edited by GunpowaderGuy; 23 March 2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I don't understand this sentence:

"Independent developer Sui Jingfeng has been working on vkOpenArena as a port of the OpenArena engine over to using the Vulkan graphics API rather than Vulkan. "

Using the Vulkan graphics API rather than Vulkan? What does this mean?

Comment

Michael tildearrow typo:

vkOpenArena as a port of the OpenArena engine over to using the Vulkan graphics API rather than OpenGL

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
                Because we need the performance?
                No. From the GitHub page:
                I am naive programmer, this repository is mainly for myself learning Vulkan and Quake3's engine. I actually haven't the ability to maintain it as lacking documents about Q3 and lacking knowledge about game graphics. I am learning by modification, however, only to find that I introduce bugs and mess the code up. So, Any documents, instructions, advices would be appreciated.

Comment

Independent developer Sui Jingfeng has been working on vkOpenArena as a port of the OpenArena engine over to using the Vulkan graphics API rather than Vulkan.
                  Using Vulkan rather than Vulkan, huh? Cool story.

Comment

Working...
                  X