CrossOver 18.5 Released - Based On Wine 4.0 While Pulling In FAudio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver 18.5 Released - Based On Wine 4.0 While Pulling In FAudio

Phoronix: CrossOver 18.5 Released - Based On Wine 4.0 While Pulling In FAudio

CodeWeavers, the main sponsor/contributor to the Wine project, announced the release today of their commercial CrossOver 18.5 software for more easily running Windows games and applications on Linux and macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I dont find it news worthy at all, and just sort of arbitrarily fills page space for reasons I sincerely can NOT comprehend. Whats the point of this?
    Does phoronix earn money per headline? Why is this a new headline?
    Last edited by AdamOne; 21 March 2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I think it's good that you mention their part in Wine development, because people tend to forget that or not know it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
        I dont find it news worthy at all, and just sort of arbitrarily fills page space for reasons I sincerely can NOT comprehend. Whats the point of this?
        You may not be required to use Windows-only software at work. To a lot of us, news about wine is a really big deal. Regardless, you should not accuse Michael of writing click-bait headlines. He hasn't done anything to harm you by publishing anything, and you are free to not read the articles that aren't relevant to your area of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          you should not accuse Michael of writing click-bait headlines.
          He didn't claim this was clickbait. It is not clickbait. Michael did write plenty of clickbait about warm topics like systemd or whatever.

Comment

Because people might be interested in using the commercial product Wine is used in.

I also find interesting to know that they enabled the FAudio support while the mainline Wine did not.

Comment

Any news is news to someone, don't be so close-minded. Another example, I do not find some benchmarks useful for my needs/interests but for someone else it may be so. Not Only I Read news on this website.
              Last edited by Sethox; 21 March 2019, 05:09 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

As an Office 2010 over CrossOver user, I can attest that this release does exactly as it says.

I had a lot of trouble getting Office working on the last release over Fedora 29. With this release, everything works as it should: enter the product key, verified by the Microsoft servers, and then activate the product suite.

For those claiming that this is unimportant or even "clickbait" news. I don't think you understand what clickbait means. As for the importance: CrossOver is the product that funds much of the WINE development. I am more than happy to pay for this excellent product that out-of-the-box allows me to run software that I need for everyday work, and that indirectly funds my pleasure in running games on Steam for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                  I think it's good that you mention their part in Wine development, because people tend to forget that or not know it.
                  Perhaps you should accept that the world doesn't revolve around you and there are plenty of things of no interest to you which are of interest to others.

Having said that, CrossOver is great for running MS Office on Linux in a supported manner (which I use at work). Also it is a way to fund Wine.

The improvements to Office 2010 are much welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                    For those claiming that this is unimportant or even "clickbait" news. I don't think you understand what clickbait means. As for the importance: CrossOver is the product that funds much of the WINE development. I am more than happy to pay for this excellent product that out-of-the-box allows me to run software that I need for everyday work, and that indirectly funds my pleasure in running games on Steam for Linux.
                    Not to mention that if "Commercial Wine" switches to using a certain feature, it's probably a good idea for the rest of us to switch to that feature as well. I mean, if it's good enough for paying customers, it should be good enough for the rest of us. I've only used faudio for the past week, have only used it with one game, and it actually works better...I wouldn't have bothered with faudio if it weren't for Phoronix articles like this one...

If we had 5 systemd articles in a row...we could possibly start using the word "clickbait". A single article in the day about a product being updated and getting a new feature while fixing bugs with various programs isn't clickbait at all. It's the reason we come to Phoronix -- to learn about new developments in the Linux world.

Comment

Working...
                    X