Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orbital: A PlayStation 4 Emulator That Is Emulating The PS4's AMD GPU Using Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Consoles are an anti consumer business practice that forces you to buy their hardware. Hardware that is essentially a PC with a locked ecosystem. PC gaming is an open market where anyone can freely sell games. If publishers didn't want their games emulated on PC then they should port their games to PC, just like publishers who didn't want their Windows games virtually running in Linux should have ported their games to Linux. I played Breath of the Wild on PC from start to finish at higher quality than on a Switch. If Nintendo stops making console games they'll likely move to phones. Don't you all have a phone?
    The lengths that people go through to try to justify piracy... Did you at least buy your copy of Breath of the Wild? If so, then I would think it's fine to play on your emulator.

As for emulating the PS4, now is probably the time to get started on it so that we'll have a working emulator in 5-10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Consoles are an anti consumer business practice that forces you to buy their hardware.
      You're not forced to buy their hardware. No one has a gun to your head.

The majority of force in modern societies comes from the state. Private individuals/companies do sometimes leverage the state to force people to do things under threat of violence. This isn't happening with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo consoles. If I do not buy one of these consoles, I'm not going to get a court hearing and then be forced into a cage or forced to pay currency to these companies.

Also: if someone wants to make a product with a locked down software ecosystem using cryptographic signing techniques, that's their choice. It's their choice to do that and it's your choice whether or not you're going to buy into their platform.

I'm not suggesting you condone this particularly course of action, but if someone does come along and demands that Sony, Nintendo, Apple or Microsoft open up their locked-down platforms using threat of legal action, then they are the ones involved in forcing people to do stuff. They are saying: do what I say or these men in uniform carrying weapons will physically force you to do what I say.

Note: I acknowledge and do not condone the legal action that those companies get involved in. In general: using the state as a weapon against peaceful people is a heartless thing to do. What's the golden rule?

Do not do to others, that which you do not want done to yourself.

Also:

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper names.
      Last edited by cybertraveler; 19 March 2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

You're not forced to buy their hardware. No one has a gun to your head.
        I'm pretty sure his entire argument was just an attempt to morally justify software piracy.
        I find this really interesting that someone can on the one hand say, "I really like these Nintendo games, those guys really know what they are doing". But at the same time also say, "I really hate those fucking Nintendo guys, only building games for their own consoles. That's evil, so it should be ok for me to download a copy and play it on something else."

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

The lengths that people go through to try to justify piracy...
          AFAIK "piracy" is when people rape, steal and pillage.

"software piracy" is a propaganda term designed to associate people who share data with each other with the types of pirates mentioned above.

If two people own their minds, their bodies and their computers, then it is an act of aggression to use force to try and stop them from connecting those computers together and flipping bits on their own hard drives.

The idea that you can "own" a pattern or a number is absurd.

The concept of ownership was brought about as a result of people widely claiming that they should have exclusive control of their human body. Stemming from this is a recognition that there are finite resources in the world and their needs to be a way of deciding who should have what rights to what resources. From there, the concepts of property rights and ownership were born.

Claiming you own a pattern or a number is mutually exclusive with traditional property rights.

If I own my mind and I own my body (physical property rights) and then someone comes along and tells me that I can't use my voice box to sing a certain song or arrange bits on my own hard drive in a certain way, then they are telling me that I don't have exclusive rights to my own property. If they then use legal action against me, they are getting involved in real property rights violations (from a logical perspective, not from a legal perspective. The legal system is absurd beyond belief. There probably isn't a person alive who accurately understands all the laws that they are subject to, and thus how they are expected to behave).

Comment

AFAIK "piracy" is when people rape, steal and pillage.
            Fine, software piracy. I think we all know what we're talking about here.
            Personally, I don't care, but I do think it's funny when someone does mental gymnastics to try to justify not paying for something.
            Just say, "I don't want to pay for this, and I don't care what the law says"

Comment

There is no such think as software piracy. Its a copyright and/or licence violation. All this crap about piracy and stealing is just propaganda to make it look worse than it is.
              Also in some legal systems it is ok to download a copy. You are not violating any law by it. The one in violation is the one sharing it with you. Because he is in violation of copyright. But even than you are not allowed to share it to other as than you would be in violation. But i dont know how it is with licence violation.

And yes, cybertraveler is just finding excuses not to pay.
              If you are not going to pay, have at least decency to aknowlege that you are leaching on others work against their wishes.
              Last edited by pixo; 19 March 2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
                leaching on others work against their wishes.
                A leach extracts resources from a different animal, such that that other animal no longer has the resources.

If I share a long number with a friend, the original creator of that number (or the pattern which can result in that number) is not losing anything.

So you're quick to point out that it's not "piracy", but then you go on to make another false equivalence.

What do you do when your arguments are bad? Associate the other guy with negative connotations and hope you don't get called out.

I'm calling you out.

Comment

A worm does not get to called out the bird, cybertraveler. Have the decency of admitting to yourself and others what you are, and stop rationalizing your failure in logic and moral character.

Comment

Fine! I admit it!

I'm a pirate: I rape and pillage and steal.

I'm a leech: I extract resources from other animals such that they no longer have them.

I'm a worm: (I don't know why, because I don't understand dh04000's comment. I'm totally sure this rude stranger on the Internet has me all figured out though.)

/s

Comment

A leach extracts resources from a different animal, such that that other animal no longer has the resources.

If I share a long number with a friend, the original creator of that number (or the pattern which can result in that number) is not losing anything.

So you're quick to point out that it's not "piracy", but then you go on to make another false equivalence.

What do you do when your arguments are bad? Associate the other guy with negative connotations and hope you don't get called out.

I'm calling you out.
                      So whats the best term term for someone agreeing to provide compensation for using product of work of others and then not providing that compensation?
                      Because all of the software come wilt EULA that you have to agree with before using it. Some part may not be applicable depending on local law but i dont think there is any law allowing you not to pay.

A nie vsetci mame Anglictinu ako rodny jazyk.

Comment

Working...
                      X