Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 3.16-8 Available With DXVK 1.0, Unity Game Fixes

Phoronix: Proton 3.16-8 Available With DXVK 1.0, Unity Game Fixes

Valve has released Proton 3.16-8 as their newest release to their Wine fork that adds in various improvements for helping Windows games on Linux primarily to bolster their "Steam Play" functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's great to see Proton making consistent advancements, but I'm not seeing many high profile games go from borked to playable. Nioh is the game I keep checking, and it still crashes after the launcher. Pubg also still not playable.

Comment

Awesome news, I still can hardly believe all the games I can play through this framework on Linux now using amdgpu and Mesa.

I swore I'd never buy another Ubisoft game again, but I bought FarCry New Dawn because it works beautifully through SteamPlay (except for a few input problems... vehicle steering with keyboard, and it doesn't seem to be able to communicate with an Xbox 360 controller (relying solely on DirectInput to have already configured it I guess) which works in other games, both native and wine.

I haven't booted windows in weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by thebishop View Post
        It's great to see Proton making consistent advancements, but I'm not seeing many high profile games go from borked to playable.
        That's because most already are playable. The majority of remaining unplayable ones are affected by some junk DRM / anti-cheat which doesn't work in Wine at all.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          That's because most already are playable. The majority of remaining unplayable ones are affected by some junk DRM / anti-cheat which doesn't work in Wine at all.
          Pretty much this.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

there is a bunch of games that dont work and are not DRM, warframe for example

Comment

I still have issues with UE based games. Yes, they are playable, but the slowdowns and freezes really kills their enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

there is a bunch of games that dont work and are not DRM, warframe for example
                Warframe works now via Lutris.

Anti-cheats probably going forward is going to be more complicated, one of the ways an anti-cheat works is by detecting modified copies of windows libraries which the game uses, so wouldn't be surprised if signed-wine builds from Steam becomes a thing.

Otherwise you could modify Wine to give you unfair advantages.
                Last edited by Britoid; 08 March 2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Recommended watch- Ethan Lee's recent talk on proton development at Magfest.

Comment

Uplay can log in now. Rendering is partly broken, the login window is fully transparent, at least on my Mint Cinnamon install it seems. However, if you can log in blind, it works and games seem to run fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X