No announcement yet.

Valve's Steam Numbers For February Show A Small Dip In Linux Gaming Percentage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accuracy of Valve'sgaming stats depends on polling technique, changes in size of overall gaming market, release of new games, sales drops in older games, and awareness survey is confined to Steam users. Be interesting to see stats of people who use PC *only* for games.

Comment

Oki. Chances are that if you consider gaming on Linux, you are what windows folks call a "power user". By that, i mean - My grandma wont game on Linux, cos she would not even know how to log on.

So, that assumption out of the way, the next thing is that you are most likely to dig through some articles, and would know what "wine" is. Seeing as proton come with a random update every 2 months or so, and are still at wine 3.16, you would be bummed out when you see stuff added to newer versions of wine, and also find out things run better with wine.

Sure.. you can run your own proton version in Steam, but that is a lot more complicated than just compiling wine (that are complicated enough on some distro's).

My oppinion: Linux ppl are used to bugs and features being updated rapidly - Steam/Proton are way to slow with this, and ppl loose interest. Why could not Steam set up some build-bot type of system with "nightly-builds" of proton for those on the "bleeding edge". Im sure that would spawn some more interest from ppl.

Comment

In all my years of using Steam I only got the survey once on linux, and that was recently this week. I have been using Steam for a long long time. So just the fact I only got it once shows the numbers are greatly skewed. Kind of dishonest if you ask me considering how they administer it. I like Steam due to it being the most available for gaming on linux, which is certainly better than nothing, but to be honest as a software it's pretty weird stuff in my opinion. Not to try to personify it but Steam is one strange cat.

The whole proton stuff and running Windows platform games using various methods with wine I think is a huge waste of time and a bit daft in my opinion, just buy Windows 10 if you really want to play windows games. The only games that run somewhat reliably with any of the wine stuff is id Tech engine shit.

My huge argument is why even have the PC platform if you are not going to take advantage of it's multi OS capabilities? It is kind of dumb and wasteful in my opinion to half-ass run software, rather than just getting the proper operating system for the corresponding software.

This may piss a lot of people off here and I am full aware of that, but I am not afraid to speak the truth either. What I speak as far as I know is 100% true concerning the linux gaming situation.

I am not trying to knock people for trying to run Windows software on the Linux operating system, trust me I do it myself, I do it out of pure curiosity, I do it cause I find it entertaining but success per successfully ran and the ability to continuously run and operate a piece windows software without any issues is extremely low.

Windows has a much higher success rate at running Windows software and we all know why that is. It's no conspiracy! Hello?
        Last edited by creative; 02 March 2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

The whole proton stuff and running Windows platform games using various methods with wine I think is a huge waste of time and a bit daft in my opinion, just buy Windows 10 if you really want to play windows games. The only games that run somewhat reliably with any of the wine stuff is id Tech engine shit.

My huge argument is why even have the PC platform if you are not going to take advantage of it's multi OS capabilities? It is kind of dumb and wasteful in my opinion to half-ass run software, rather than just getting the proper operating system for the corresponding software.
          I don't have windows at all and I do not want to install/buy it for the 1 game that I play every day.
          Nor do I want to loose my sessions by rebooting the whole time.

For me proton is the best thing since sliced bread. In the past I always had to make things work myself with wine.
          Now I can just enable proton and click play.

It is fast enough to be capped by the 60fps vsync and it is rock solid stable.

BTW The game is Villagers and Heroes.
          Last edited by Raka555; 02 March 2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Raka555 I totally understand where you are coming from.

I prefer a much a larger variety of games though. That being said, I have stopped buying games recently cause I feel I have enough and I feel the newest video games have become a major ripoff for what they charge.
            Last edited by creative; 02 March 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Maybe you were lucky, last year was not working in WINE

Could be: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103915

googling around i found that seems R600_DEBUG=mono variable helps.

App seems to be hugely popular despite it is just 640x480 resolution, 30 fps and few colors only So i could agree there, popularity does not equal and is probably opposite of latest and greatest graphics which only few could run

Also app is OpenGL on Linux, but D3D9 on Windows... so shader is different and you could even use Nine to run that

You could even run that app without graphic driver on a CPU, with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 variable in case of OpenGL version or with D3D_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 in case of Nine...

Maybe our problem is too much options And maybe app is so popular because it could be run on a CPU only already

Let alone that system requirements listed is one of the most honest ones i ever seen
              I'll have to give that fix a try. But we really don't want to encourage terminal like fixes for Steam as Steam is meant to be the easy way to get games working on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                Switching OS's is not convenient. I could dual boot Windows and Linux but I'd rather not. Catering to Windows won't help Linux.

Comment

i'm gonna crap the pants the day valve decides to give me my first linux survey

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    ...caused by an increase in Chinese users. When the Chinese base decreases, Linux rises.
                    So, Chinese people dont count? If there were a statistic of white DRM fetishists that feel elitist because they just barely competent enough to install an OS, then I bet Linux would get close to 100% there.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

So, Chinese people dont count?
                      Of course they count, but there is lower than average amount of Linux users there... Which explains why percentage goes lower, once survey is more there

Per continents, only in most countries of Europe and Asia are above average, or better to say India mostly as else in Asia is flop too Worldwide, but per countries number of LInux fluctuate greatly as that even goes as 1:10 ratio Unlike Windows, Linux as Desktop really fluctuate greatly per countries

So, if you do survey in targeted sweet spots where Linux is known to be used a lot, i wouldn't be surprised if Linux goes even to 5% on average with peaks at maybe 7% or more
                      Last edited by dungeon; 03 March 2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X