No announcement yet.

Valve's Steam Numbers For February Show A Small Dip In Linux Gaming Percentage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Steam Numbers For February Show A Small Dip In Linux Gaming Percentage

Phoronix: Valve's Steam Numbers For February Show A Small Dip In Linux Gaming Percentage

Valve has just uploaded their Steam Survey hardware/software results for February 2019 and unfortunately the Linux gaming market-share has not continued an upward trend, at least on a percentage basis...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...caused by an increase in Chinese users. When the Chinese base decreases, Linux rises.

Comment

Seems like Far East was surveyed more this time As Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese goes up, while everything else goes down... so obvious

Same way if i see stright increasment of europian languages, i wouldn't be surprised if Linux also goes up

That said, this decrease is actually much better than expected
      Last edited by dungeon; 01 March 2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

There are still many issues with some of the native Linux games. One I found out recently was Undertale, which just seems to crash immediately upon start, but somehow the Windows version through Wine has been working fine for years. I think it's an issue with AMD users and not Intel and Nvidia. Also Proton on Steam doesn't seem to have improved much, especially for big games like Fallout 4 which still has crazy mouse control issues and I believe the sound isn't working either.

I think a solution to this problem is having a "Report Problem" button for each game so people can report issues they have with the game. Something simple like a check box for common issues like game not starting or crashing upon start would help developers be aware of these issues and help push them to fix the game. So maybe someone like Toby Fox can go back and see why his game is crashing in Linux and be made aware of it. This would also help Windows users as too many games are left broken **cough** Fallout 3 **cough**.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          There are still many issues with some of the native Linux games. One I found out recently was Undertale, which just seems to crash immediately upon start, but somehow the Windows version through Wine has been working fine for years.
          Maybe you were lucky, last year was not working in WINE

I think it's an issue with AMD users and not Intel and Nvidia.
          Could be: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103915

googling around i found that seems R600_DEBUG=mono variable helps.

mono Use old-style monolithic shaders compiled on demand
          App seems to be hugely popular despite it is just 640x480 resolution, 30 fps and few colors only So i could agree there, popularity does not equal and is probably opposite of latest and greatest graphics which only few could run

Also app is OpenGL on Linux, but D3D9 on Windows... so shader is different and you could even use Nine to run that

You could even run that app without graphic driver on a CPU, with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 variable in case of OpenGL version or with D3D_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 in case of Nine...

Maybe our problem is too much options And maybe app is so popular because it could be run on a CPU only already

Let alone that system requirements listed is one of the most honest ones i ever seen

Minimum:
          • OS: If you can run other games on Steam, it's probably OK
          Last edited by dungeon; 02 March 2019, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah sorry folks, I moved back to windows10 for proper Variable Refresh Rate support (dual monitor, custom edid, no blinking) with my NVIDIA 1080TI until I get a AMD GPU, hopefully NAVI will be able to compete at that level (and a AIB will make a short form card).

Comment

One would assume that mac is below 0%, but apparently not.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                One would assume that mac is below 0%, but apparently not.
                It will drop to 0 once they remove OpenGL

Comment

Recently got the survey and submitted.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    That dip is caused by people realizing that proton is buggy and windows games works bests with wine-staging, dxvk and the windows steam client. Uplay and games works great too, Assassin"s Creed Black Flag and Watchdogs.
                    Ubisoft does make some popular games and indeed, Uplay still not working many months after the issue was reported is plain bullshit. Workarounds may exist, but requiring any defeats the purpose of using Proton.

Comment

Working...
                    X