X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leonmaxx
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    didn't it also cause performance problems?
    I'm not a developer of DXVK nor DXVK Linux native port. I just packaged it to help with testing.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    For the sake of the distant future, I hope it doesn't drift too far from the DLL-based approach.

Last I heard, bundling Wine's DrectDraw DLLs was how GOG.com got at least one of the Dungeon Keeper games to support high-quality graphics mode on modern Windows.

...and, if nothing else, you want to support Windows because, otherwise, you wind up like with games such as Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, where GOG.com doesn't try to license them because there's no viably reliable option for getting Windows 3.1 applications running on 64-bit Windows. (BoxedWine does exist, but GOG never expanded their use of Wine for Linux support beyond Flatout, Flatout 2, and a couple of Infinity Engine games, compared DOSBox and ScummVM being appealing to them because they Just Work™ more reliably than old Windows games patched to run on new Windows.)

That said, I really wish Executor (essentially a Wine for MacOS System 6 and 7) was still maintained so GOG could feel comfortable enough with it to start selling me classic MacOS games.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post

DXVK built as Wine builtin library caused issues.
    didn't it also cause performance problems?

Leave a comment:

• adila01
    replied
    Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Yeah, I already packaged libdxvk and patched wine to help with testing.
    https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...axx/wine-dxvk/
    This is amazing. I never knew about your COPR repo. I will definitely check this out.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Would be interesting to learn more about the advantages. I can only think of replacing Wine's D3D10/11 implementation completely to reduce this maintenance burden.

Leave a comment:

• leonmaxx
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Didn't Valve already try something like this with Proton but reverted it because the native Linux libraries were causing issues with the Steam run-time environment?
    DXVK built as Wine builtin library caused issues.

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Didn't Valve already try something like this with Proton but reverted it because the native Linux libraries were causing issues with the Steam run-time environment?

Leave a comment:

• leonmaxx
    replied
    Yeah, I already packaged libdxvk and patched wine to help with testing.

Leave a comment:

• Work-In-Progress "DXVK-Native" Allows For Better Wine/System Integration

Phoronix: Work-In-Progress "DXVK-Native" Allows For Better Wine/System Integration

There's work-in-progress patches for DXVK and Wine to improve the integration between the two for this Direct3D-on-Vulkan library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X