X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cybmax
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

But interesting question can you run with vkd3d Directx 12 only games with Hardware that have no DX12 support? That would then be a extra feature of linux over Windows.
    I don't believe there is such a thing (yet) as a dx12 "only" game tho. And a dx12 only game would be a windows 10 only game. From what i gather, as long as your card supports dx11_0, it only depends on the driver to support dx12.
    I would also think that if your card does not support dx11_0, it does not support vulkan either, and that would not work.

So.. If your card has no updated windows 10 drivers (dx12 requires windows 10 drivers), BUT supports dx11_0 features + have vulkan support via Linux opensource driver, you could in theory get dx12 support via vkd3d in linux

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well I don't think it should be replaced completely - more added as an alternative. Vulkan support is only available on more recent GPUs, there are still many people using older but powerful GPUs that don't support Vulkan, but do support OpenGL.
    Hmm is that not a driver only question? Intel gpus sholud be pretty bad not only in performance but also featureset (except video encoding) yet there are vulkan drivers for it.

Does Vulkan support rely on a minimal set of hardware features? Point as far as I understand is more in the way you talk to the hardware more direct in some sense, and I would assume that you then write fallback routines maybe cpu based for things your gpu does not support?

Officially supported by amdgpu driver is Radeon 7000 upwards but on reddit I read that even older hardware works if you do it right and remove em from the blacklist:

I mean if you go far enough back the gpus will be to bad to run DX10 games anyway.

But interesting question can you run with vkd3d Directx 12 only games with Hardware that have no DX12 support? That would then be a extra feature of linux over Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    The "DXVK-Native" work would improve the DXVK/Wine integration by allowing DXVK to be built as a native Linux system library (libdxvk.so) that Wine could then utilize without needing any manual/third-party installation steps.
    Could this approach also be used to enable Gallium Nine support in Wine? (i.e. Wine only caring about the availability of a DX system library and not its implementation)

Leave a comment:

• Cybmax
    replied
    So, pretty much the same as vkd3d does for D3D12.

I started writing about how this would be a "bad" decision, but well.. i guess this allows for independent updates of the library without having to rebuild wine each time you need a update - kinda of like how dxvk works NOW, xept that doing it as a totally standalone thing is easier.

Some distro's like Ubuntu have a rather cumbersome way of building packages if you just dont want to do a "sudo ninja install", and want some proper package management. One negative aspect could possibly be the problem of having different versions of the library? Or doing regression testing/bisecting. It is not EASIER doing this with a native linux library imo. After all 99.9% of the reason for dxvk (or vkd3d) is for games, and if such a change is not done for improved compatibility or performance, its a total waste.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Well I don't think it should be replaced completely - more added as an alternative. Vulkan support is only available on more recent GPUs, there are still many people using older but powerful GPUs that don't support Vulkan, but do support OpenGL.
    Also there are some games that don't work with DXVK and work with wined3d yet.

I find this pretty stupid though. Waste of time. DLLs are superior compared to ELF anyway and you can simply hardlink/symlink it into every prefix if you care about removing redundancy. What part is difficult about installing dvxk exactly, adding an override? Just set it to native as default in wine.

As I said, waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• sl1pkn07
    replied
    Hi

@leonmaxx where you get the patches for dxvk wine?

RPM packaging for Wine 4.x with patches for Linux native DXVK library. **DEPRECATED** - leonmaxx/wine-dxvk-rpm

RPM packaging for Wine 4.x with patches for Linux native DXVK library. **DEPRECATED** - leonmaxx/wine-dxvk-rpm

greetings

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    Would be interesting to learn more about the advantages. I can only think of replacing Wine's D3D10/11 implementation completely to reduce this maintenance burden.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Interesting. Good to see Wine trying to integrated dxvk in some way.

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

didn't it also cause performance problems?
    AFAIK performance is roughly unchanged.

Leave a comment:

• Terrablit
    replied
    The "DXVK-Native" work would improve the DXVK/Wine integration by allowing DXVK to be built as a native Linux system library (libdxvk.so) that Wine could then utilize without needing any manual/third-party installation steps.
    I'm glad Wine is looking to just reuse system libraries instead of requiring extra WINE installation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X