GNU's RPG/Adventure Game Updated For SDL2, Defaults To OpenGL Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU's RPG/Adventure Game Updated For SDL2, Defaults To OpenGL Rendering

Phoronix: GNU's RPG/Adventure Game Updated For SDL2, Defaults To OpenGL Rendering

Of the many free software projects under the GNU umbrella, there aren't many games. One of the only titles is GNU FreeDink, which is out this weekend with its newest update after several active weeks of development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNU: 20 Years Behind Everything

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      "Free Software Foundation approved game engine" - that's all I need to know..

EDIT: Their website is written in XHTML 1.0 from 1998 btw
      Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 17 February 2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

"One of the Flagship GNU Games in 2019"

You exactly knew what you're doing there haha it cracked me up.

Comment

Including GCC? Oh, wait.

Comment

There are plenty of free games that could be moved into the GNU project, plenty of them are more modern. Consider Shattered Pixel Dungeon, (and the vanilla version which is awful in comparison) Red Eclipse, OpenArena (too bad it wasn't updated in like 7 years). There are plenty of other games I haven't even thought of. All of these games should have no trouble being approved to be a part of the project, so it's just the lack of the GNU label.

Comment

Old isn't necessarily bad.

The design of a typical bicycle hasn't changed much in decades, but it still works brilliantly.

The design of many of the GNU programs are indeed old, but I use them daily and much prefer them over the more modern alternatives. I started out using Windows and then switched to using GNU/Linux, which is based on UNIX; which is older than Windows.

Also: although GNU does seem to maintain mostly "old" programs (old in design), it also maintains some significant modern programs/program-sets like GTK+ 3.x & Gnome.

Edit: fixed typo (thanks M@yeulC)
              Last edited by cybertraveler; 17 February 2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Write what you want, there's a lot to be said about a game from 1998 that still receives updates to this day. I count this as a plus in favour of open source games/engines

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                Old is necessarily bad.
                I think you dropped a "n't"

Comment

I don't know. This game doesn't *need* an internet connection.

Your world of Streaming thin clients and Steam DRM is soooo late 80's

Not to mention FreeDink has been ported to the HTML5 web. I don't see that with most commercial games being released today, making them... legacy!

Get with the times, like GNU has done!

Comment

"One of the flagship GNU games in 2019" LOL
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X