Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GameMode Sees Patches To Allow For GPU Overclocking When Running Linux Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GameMode Sees Patches To Allow For GPU Overclocking When Running Linux Games

    Phoronix: GameMode Sees Patches To Allow For GPU Overclocking When Running Linux Games

    Marc Di Luzio continues working on interesting features for GameMode as the daemon to optimize Linux systems for gaming... The latest is integrating AMD and NVIDIA overclocking support within GameMode, which is now under review...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-GPU-Overclock

  • #2
    I don't really play games, so I am not really sure where to put this, however can a VRAM usage test be added to the Phoronix Test Suite? This will help test counterfeit GPUs (such as my "HD7570 4GB" which is really an HD6770 1GB).
    Right now I was trying to test it after setting the vramlimit kernel module option to 1GB (without this, the GPU will simply hang, forcing a hard reboot, if VRAM usage exceeds 1GB).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
      I don't really play games, so I am not really sure where to put this, however can a VRAM usage test be added to the Phoronix Test Suite? This will help test counterfeit GPUs (such as my "HD7570 4GB" which is really an HD6770 1GB).
      Right now I was trying to test it after setting the vramlimit kernel module option to 1GB (without this, the GPU will simply hang, forcing a hard reboot, if VRAM usage exceeds 1GB).
      You can realistically use this library as a preload with any application you determine you need full performance for. It helps automate the switching of CPU governors to and from performance mode.

      Comment


      • #4
        CPU Governors can also be changed automatically with libvirt hooks for specific vms on start / stop

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fuzz View Post

          You can realistically use this library as a preload with any application you determine you need full performance for. It helps automate the switching of CPU governors to and from performance mode.
          Thanks, however I barely know how to use the Phoronix Test Suite.
          I had downloaded the etlegacy test, since I was having networking issues and that was the lightest GPU benchmark, however, due to the fact that I currently don't have a working 1080p or 1200p panel (the 1200p went to my sister, for video editing, and the 1080p to the family/my sisters' (I have more than one sister) desktop), so understandably, I can't exactly use 1280x1024p for stressing my GPU.
          I merely want to simulate a theoretical situation where an entire gigabyte of VRAM would be in use, so I do not need to stress the GPU itself.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by moriel5 View Post

            Thanks, however I barely know how to use the Phoronix Test Suite.
            I had downloaded the etlegacy test, since I was having networking issues and that was the lightest GPU benchmark, however, due to the fact that I currently don't have a working 1080p or 1200p panel (the 1200p went to my sister, for video editing, and the 1080p to the family/my sisters' (I have more than one sister) desktop), so understandably, I can't exactly use 1280x1024p for stressing my GPU.
            I merely want to simulate a theoretical situation where an entire gigabyte of VRAM would be in use, so I do not need to stress the GPU itself.
            Hmm, I'm not sure you replied to the right topic?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              Hmm, I'm not sure you replied to the right topic?
              He started this by saying that he does not know where to put it, but he needs some way to fill up vRAM so he can make a tutorial or program to test for counterfeit GPUs like his.

              I can only think about some tool that dumps some data into there. moriel5 see if this is good. It's using your VRAM to make a RAMdisk https://github.com/Overv/vramfs

              Cards from HD 6xxx onwards should support OpenCL 1.2 in hardware (which is required by that application), but I don't know about actual support of that in Linux.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fuzz View Post

                Hmm, I'm not sure you replied to the right topic?
                As I and starshipeleven had posted, I do not really know where this post belongs.

                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                He started this by saying that he does not know where to put it, but he needs some way to fill up vRAM so he can make a tutorial or program to test for counterfeit GPUs like his.

                I can only think about some tool that dumps some data into there. moriel5 see if this is good. It's using your VRAM to make a RAMdisk https://github.com/Overv/vramfs

                Cards from HD 6xxx onwards should support OpenCL 1.2 in hardware (which is required by that application), but I don't know about actual support of that in Linux.
                Thanks, however OpenCL does not work for me, despite it being supposed to work, on either Intel or preGCN AMD GPUs (I do not currently have on me NVidia or AMD GCN GPUs).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
                  As I and starshipeleven had posted, I do not really know where this post belongs.
                  Yeah, i completely missed the context when you replied to me (which did not include that information).

                  I also misinterpreted "I don't really play games, so I am not really sure where to put this" as if you meant "I don't really know what to do with this library" instead of "I don't know where to put this post".

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X