Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Nine-Standalone Offers Up New Release For Making Use Of Gallium D3D9 On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Nine-Standalone Offers Up New Release For Making Use Of Gallium D3D9 On Wine

Phoronix: Wine-Nine-Standalone Offers Up New Release For Making Use Of Gallium D3D9 On Wine

Last month I shared the work going into Gallium-Nine-Standalone that aims to make it easier to utilize the Gallium3D Direct3D 9 "Nine" state tracker on Wine. There is now a new release of that code, including easy-to-use binaries, for those pursuing faster D3D9 Windows gaming performance on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is there anything that wine's D3D9 to opengl translator not do well that really needs a gallium 9 implementation? i cannot say i play tons of D3D9 games through wine, but anything iv'e thrown at it recently seem to work out just fine. its wine's DX10-12 implementations that are really lacking isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
      is there anything that wine's D3D9 to opengl translator not do well that really needs a gallium 9 implementation? i cannot say i play tons of D3D9 games through wine, but anything iv'e thrown at it recently seem to work out just fine. its wine's DX10-12 implementations that are really lacking isn't it?
      Speed.

And yes, wined3d for DX10/11 is problematic.

Comment

I don't compile dri2 , but if confirmation for binaries is needed these works fine on Debian 10:

Copy/paste install for me, as it is already linked... someone else should test them better elsewhere as i already use this for a while
        Last edited by dungeon; 03 February 2019, 03:45 AM.

Comment

A bit too much effort to make ancient games run at 900 fps instead of 800, while no monitors with such a refresh rate exist.

Comment

I will test this once Zink will be merged to mainline Mesa :-)

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
              Basically, WineD3D translates Direct3D to OpenGL, which the graphics driver then translates to the appropriate internal representation. That results in lower performance.

Gallium Nine skips a step by working in cooperation with a Gallium3D-based driver to translate directly from Direct3D to the internal representation, like a driver on Windows would. (But you need a Gallium3D-based driver because, otherwise, it won't let you feed it IR directly and, even if it did, every non-Gallium driver would have a different IR.)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                A bit too much effort to make ancient games run at 900 fps instead of 800, while no monitors with such a refresh rate exist.
                This is not true at all for very late AAA d3d9 games circa 2008-2012, and even some older ones that are horribly CPU bound. I barely get 60 FPS with a RX580 and i7 6700K using wine3d in a lot of cases. d3d11 games with DXVK greatly outperform these while also being much more graphically demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaporeon View Post

This is not true at all for very late AAA d3d9 games circa 2008-2012, and even some older ones that are horribly CPU bound. I barely get 60 FPS with a RX580 and i7 6700K using wine3d in a lot of cases. d3d11 games with DXVK greatly outperform these while also being much more graphically demanding.
                  Yes. Skyrim (not special edition) was barely getting 30 fps (at best) on my potato-ish rig through the OpenGL translation (rx470 + ten-year-old Phenom II CPU). With gallium-nine, I get a solid 60. While WiNE's built-in D3D9 support is very mature and offers broad compatibility, Gallium-nine can offer massive performance improvements under some circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Not everyone has super duper high end hardware, and I've even seen old games with unplayable performance on wined3d on modern high end hardware. The original Dragon Age was such a case for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X